back boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want replace my old baxi back boiler with a combination boiler. I would like to continue to use the fire. Is it possible to just decommission the back boiler and continue to use the front?

Sponsored Links
Carefully...

Heavy punishment for boiler explosion death
Friday, September 18, 2009, 13:45

A plumber and a housing association responsible for an horrific boiler explosion which killed an elderly woman will be sentenced by a judge.

Magistrates in Gloucester decided today they did not have sufficient power to punish Matthew Lee and the Severn Vale Housing Society for the mistakes which resulted in Christine Goodall's death last year.

The 65-year-old and her dog Kelly, 15, died when the decommissioned back boiler in her semi-detached house in Twyning, near Tewkesbury, blew up in November.

Her boiler had been decommissioned by Mr Lee, of Mendip Close, Cheltenham, in 1999 on the instructions of her landlords, the housing society.

But Elizabeth Trzoska, prosecuting for the Health and Safety Executive, said that the 41-year-old had done the work in a 'dangerous and foolhardy way.'

Sponsored Links
Bet that story relates to a solid fuel back boiler and not a gas one.

Bear in mind that keeping the fire, and the related vent, will leave the draft needed for the operation of the ancient system. If you are trying to safe money by using the fire only just to get the chill out when it is not that cold, you achieve the opposite.
Far better to get rid of the fire, close the vent and the chimney, and run the ch when you feel cold. Your new boiler also has about twice the efficiency of the old fire, and that is without counting the loss through the chimney

Goldspoon, that was a Solid Fuel appliance and not Natural Gas.

Paul

Carefully...

Heavy punishment for boiler explosion death
Friday, September 18, 2009, 13:45

A plumber and a housing association responsible for an horrific boiler explosion which killed an elderly woman will be sentenced by a judge.

Magistrates in Gloucester decided today they did not have sufficient power to punish Matthew Lee and the Severn Vale Housing Society for the mistakes which resulted in Christine Goodall's death last year.

The 65-year-old and her dog Kelly, 15, died when the decommissioned back boiler in her semi-detached house in Twyning, near Tewkesbury, blew up in November.

Her boiler had been decommissioned by Mr Lee, of Mendip Close, Cheltenham, in 1999 on the instructions of her landlords, the housing society.

But Elizabeth Trzoska, prosecuting for the Health and Safety Executive, said that the 41-year-old had done the work in a 'dangerous and foolhardy way.'

View media item 15252

;) ;)

I want replace my old baxi back boiler with a combination boiler. I would like to continue to use the fire. Is it possible to just decommission the back boiler and continue to use the front?

In spite of what someone has told you, it is NOT permitted to continue to use the fire after the boiler has been decommissioned.

Thats the manufacturer's instructions and confirmed by the gas registration authority!

The obvious answer it to decommission the boiler, safely remove the fire front, block the chimney and fit an electric fire.

Tony

In spite of what someone has told you, it is NOT permitted to continue to use the fire after the boiler has been decommissioned.

Thats the manufacturer's instructions and confirmed by the gas registration authority!

The obvious answer it to decommission the boiler, safely remove the fire front, block the chimney and fit an electric fire.

Tony

View media item 13840

In reality AGILE your talking pish, put a link.
Or if you can look on gas safe tech bulletins and see what it says.
Thats trouble with un registered guys they know a bit but not all regs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back