Back boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a housewarmer back boiler. It has recently began to make a "whooshing" sound when it lights up. Is this a major problem? Should it still be used or should it be switched off till we can get someone out to look at it?

Sponsored Links
There was a post on here about it recently. According to a Potterton engineer on here it is dangerous and should be attended to ASAP. Problem lies with a the first stage of the SIT gas valve not working.
This causes the the flame to light inside the burner instead of from the burner ports. Very scary it is too!

Thanks for the reply. Got a quote over the phone today to replace the gas valve. £200.00 and he can come between Xmas and new year. Does this sound about right?

Sponsored Links
Burning at the jets is very dangerous and maks a roaring noise like a jet engine! Creates lots of carbon monoxide!!!

If its only a "whooshing" noise then I wonder if it really is that serious and may only need adjustment rather than replacement.

I would have hoped that a local conscientious engineer might have come on the 24th am to check as it only takes a few seconds and would enable you to have a warm Christmas! I would do that for any of our regular clients!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back