Back boiler removal problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Guys. This is confusing me and not being Davy on plumbing and heating would just like opinions.My partner has just bought a bungalow. It had a back boiler so that had been removed but the pipework to it appears to be capped off.They have fitted a combi system, rads etc
I believe tank is still on loft. Boiler has been loosing pressure all the time. I've had the engineers round and it's like pulling teeth.pointrf out leak on pipework under the boiler which was fixed but combi still flagging low pressure and need refilling. They now say there is a leak from the pipe that served the back boiler that is running inside the chimney breast to the back boiler that has now been removed! The pipe is capped but water is running down that pipe into the the redundant fireplace. So leak is in void in wall! They say you have to knock the wall through to access the leaking pipe.! Considering this, should this pipe not have been removed when back boiler was removed or capped of somewhere else .I don't know how much damage this is going to cause and cost but we now have no heating or water due to not being able to use combi due to hoing low due to this leaking pipe in wall. Any info. Cheers yanky

Sponsored Links
If it’s the same ones who fitted the boiler, it’s their responsibility to fix it imo. You should also be able to access the pipes from the floorboards. I really don’t know why the existing pipes were connected.

When I had my back boiler removed, they totally removed the pipes.
They cut a bit of plasterboard to access them because I had wooden floor upstairs and didn't want the floorboards lifted.
They were lucky/ingenious enough to have a good guess where the pipes would go.
I think it's their responsibility to make sure there's no leak in the system when they install a new boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I've just spoken to a guy who is a experienced gas engineer. Says prudent to cap that live water pipe in loft space, that they should be able to see it. Evidently, due to age of pipework could be multiple pin holes along stretch of pipework and should all be removed. The fitter is very difficult to talk too, I wouldn't have had them do my house but just trying to help a friend out and don't want her taken for a ride as she as already paid the full cost of the system to be fitted and money is tight. Thanks for your input.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back