back boiler unit boiler and heating control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just moved into a property which is a flat and it as a baxi 552 bbu and fire, the trouble is there are no trv,s fitted or a wall room thermostat fitted and the clock/ timer
or programmer tappets are broken off i have had a look at the cylinder and there is no diverter valve fitted just a pump
what i need to know what is the best option to regain control over my heating.

Sponsored Links
It may be pumped CH and gravity HW, therefore the programmer would control boiler only on HW call, and boiler + pump on CH.

Installing something like a Drayton LP-112 would do, or a randall type analogue timer.

ACOperson said:
It may be pumped CH and gravity HW, therefore the programmer would control boiler only on HW call, and boiler + pump on CH.

Installing something like a Drayton LP-112 would do, or a randall type analogue timer.

what about a room thermostat or trv,s sorry forgot to mention i live in a flat and the dhw cylinder is on the same floor can this still be gravity fed.

Yes it can still be gravity fed, usually in 28 mm pipe and if the cylinder is quite close to the boiler. Room stat can be installed no problem, just put it in series with the CH live feed to the boiler, remember most modern room stats need neutral for internal anticipator.

TRV's also no problem, although on an old system like that most people would leave one rad (usually bathroom) with standard rad valves. If you want to do it by the book you could use a bypass instead...

Whats the cylinder like? If its not factory lagged I'd maybe reccommend spending a few hundred quid and changing that at least. If you change it then get the engineer to convert it to a fully pumped system with 2 zone valves as you will find reheat times and heat storage to be vastly improved.

Sponsored Links
ACOperson said:
Yes it can still be gravity fed, usually in 28 mm pipe and if the cylinder is quite close to the boiler. Room stat can be installed no problem, just put it in series with the CH live feed to the boiler, remember most modern room stats need neutral for internal anticipator.

TRV's also no problem, although on an old system like that most people would leave one rad (usually bathroom) with standard rad valves. If you want to do it by the book you could use a bypass instead...

Whats the cylinder like? If its not factory lagged I'd maybe reccommend spending a few hundred quid and changing that at least. If you change it then get the engineer to convert it to a fully pumped system with 2 zone valves as you will find reheat times and heat storage to be vastly improved.

thanks for the help it does have a lagging jacket on can you tell me where the 28mm pipe would run from ,,

Lagging jackets are c-rap unless they're new - and even then they're still nowhere near as good as foam lagged.

If it is gravity, the 28mm pipe would run from the coil on the cylinder to one of the pipes to the boiler heat exchanger (there may be 3 depending on the system).

ACOperson said:
Lagging jackets are c-rap unless they're new - and even then they're still nowhere near as good as foam lagged.

If it is gravity, the 28mm pipe would run from the coil on the cylinder to one of the pipes to the boiler heat exchanger (there may be 3 depending on the system).

if i fitted trv,s which side of the rad should it go the feed or the return side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back