controlling two boilers

Aia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a recommendation on a way to control my heating system

I currently have a large tenanted property
There are 2 glow worm 30cxi combi boilers, each being controlled by a mechanical clock fitted on each boiler,

unfortunately on both boilers, these clocks have stopped functioning when switched to 'timer mode'.

One boiler controls the ground floor water and heating and a room thermostat is on that floor
The second boiler controls the first and second floor and has a seperate room thermostat on the first floor.
All radiators have TRV's also.

Ideally the tenants should be able to turn the boilers on or off easily and a a function where the heating comes on for an hour would be great (like a boost function), because i suspect they might just turn the heating on
and then not bother to turn it off. so the property is heated even when they are out.

The clocks are expensive to replace, so I thought it would be better to invest in something that gives the tenants easier control, like replacing the thermostats with Programmable Room Thermostats. If thats the best
solution, then can anyone recommend any.

Also, i opened up one of the clocks, and there was a loose spring, and where it was attached to had snapped. So i believe thats why it doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, you seem to be a landlord who does not like spending any money on maintaining your system.

A programmable stat will provide the control you want but will need to be in a locked box to stop the tenants over riding it.

Alternatively you could have a standard stat and a "one hour" advance timer.

I am not sure where you get them but they are available and will do what you want.

Tony

Oh dear, you seem to be a landlord who does not like spending any money on maintaining your system.

Eh? He, or she, has asked for recommendations to replace broken timers. This is also to make it easier for the tenants and you say that?

A programmable stat will provide the control you want but will need to be in a locked box to stop the tenants over riding it.

Alternatively you could have a standard stat and a "one hour" advance timer.

I am not sure where you get them but they are available and will do what you want.

Tony

system is only a 3-4 years old
boilers get checked every year as well.

Tenants are allowed to control the heating. If they are cold, they can turn it on.

One hour advance timer; can you recommend one?

Sponsored Links
If the tenants are ok to do so.

Two programmable wall thermostats will do the job nicely.

Sorted.

They will but that does not overcome the landlord's reasonable concern that the tenants will put heating on to max for 24/7 and just open windows when it gets too hot!

They will but that does not overcome the landlord's reasonable concern that the tenants will put heating on to max for 24/7 and just open windows when it gets too hot!

haha, yeah i've seen them do that, until the local thief noticed as well >.<

can anyone recommend some good programmable wall thermostats (not wireless)

• Thanks
Reactions: Aia
the climapro wont work with your boilers unfortunately. stick with the honeywell or if you go in plumbcenter they do their own branded version which is cheaper and is made by er...honeywell ;)

Whilst the CM907 is a good item for an owner occupier, I would never recommend it for anywhere where tenants have access to it as its far too complicated for most homeowners let alone tenants who seem to have zero ability to deal with anything more complicated that a light switch.

Tony, why do you constantly remark about people that you have no idea whether they're skin flints or technophobes.

One of our lads rent a house, he can design and install heating systems you wouldn't even understand, so maybe when he goes home he hasn't a clue how to switch his heating on!best fit him a light switch type controller.

Once already in this thread you acuse the OP of being a tightwad yet his finances aren't your concern, now you insult his tenants.

Is it cos you worked at the BBC that your such a pompous prat.

You are making the unwarranted assumption that the landlord has to pay the heating bill.

You are making the unwarranted assumption that the landlord has to pay the heating bill.
And of course, no sensible landlord does include heating if it's avoidable. That way, if the tenant doesn't want to learn how to use the controls provided then they pay the cost.

The key thing is to provide instructions on how to operate the system. Don't give them the original that comes with the equipment (they'll lose it and you'll be stuffed when the next tenant moves in), and in any case, it's better to create a custom document that describes the actual installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back