back flow through thermostatic mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted an old thermostatic bath/shower mixer. Still waiting for combi boiler installation. The hot and cold pipes are only connected through this mixer but I get a lot of flow out of the basin hot tap. It doesn't seem to be affected by the mixer temperature setting.

Is this a problem?

Sponsored Links
do you mean the hot water is supplied via a cylinder and a cold water tank?

go and look at the overflow.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, the only connections to the hot water pipes are the bathroom taps. If it weren't for the mixer, the 'hot' pipes would be dry. The mixer is thermostatic with a separate flow-control knob; turn one way for bath and the other for shower.

you mean you only have cold water in your house and there is no hot supply?

and where do these hot pipes go to? unless they are capped off it will be leaking out somewhere

you mean you only have cold water in your house and there is no hot supply?
The house is uninhabitable. There is no hot water.
and where do these hot pipes go to? unless they are capped off it will be leaking out somewhere
The hot pipe runs from the bathroom basin to the bath mixer and down to the kitchen where it is capped off under the site for the new boiler.

if you turn on both the hot and the cold taps on the mixer, then yes, you would get some cold going up the hot pipe. If you had mixer set to "shower" you would get more than if it was set to the open "bath" spout

If there is any water going into the hot pipes when one or both the bath mixer taps are off, then you have a different cause. For example a Washing machine supply.

You can fit check-valves to prevent water going up the pipe the wrong way, but they restrict flow and are not perfectly reliable so I wouldn't bother.

Once you have the combi, the pressures will be the same hot and cold, so no reason for cold water to go up the hot pipe.

if you turn on both the hot and the cold taps on the mixer, then yes, you would get some cold going up the hot pipe. If you had mixer set to "shower" you would get more than if it was set to the open "bath" spout
It happens even with the mixer off. I suspect that both hot and cold are permanently connected to the thermostat inputs and only the output is modulated by the demand valve.
If there is any water going into the hot pipes when one or both the bath mixer taps are off, then you have a different cause. For example a Washing machine supply.
The bath mixer is the ONLY connection between the circuits. There is no kitchen yet.

It happens even with the mixer off.
that surprises me. I reckon it must have worn internal seals. Looking at the picture I thought it was the type with separate hot valve and cold valve.

It has been installed in a hard water area. I might try dismantling the thermostat and soaking in vinegar. As the MI say: "From time to time it may be necessary to remove the thermostatic control for cleaning." "Remove any scale with vinegar and lubricate seals with heat resistant grease."

I have some Castrol LM grease, which states it has a high melting point. Would that be OK?

i would have used plumbers silicone grease (it is white and odorless and does not attack rubber seals)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back