back up? if only i could

B

breezer

Trying to make a copy (back up) of my website (to a zip disc) I do this every so often (you never know when you may need it) but today it starts to copy, then when it wants to stops (i have tried several times, hence "when it wants to)

a message pops up saying
"can not copy (xyz file name) cannot find specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

my question is this.

how does it know to copy a file that is aparently not there? it must be looking at a list (or something like that) so if i could find the list its looking at i could then remove the folder it can not find couldnt I?

extra info:

not changed anything (even mrs breezer hasnt)

in view folders the funny little icon to indicate its a web folder isn't there

I can copy my other web folder no problem

i can also copy my other webfolder to another location on my hd no problem

i dont think its the zip drive at fault, because i can not copy the folder to another part of my hd either (same messsage)

Sponsored Links
Operating system? Guess it's XP pro same as last time? Have you tried to run a chkdsk /f command in order to fix any problems with the NTFS file system?

it is xp pro (sorry forgot that bit)

pardon my ignorance, but i dont know how to do that

press start, select run, type cmd.exe, click ok. You should get a command prompt dialog,

In this dialog type chkdsk /f and press return.

You need to be an administrator to do this, but this should find and fix an errors in the file system. You may need to reboot the machine. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
chkdsk is a command that works via the DOS system - think you can do it in XP by going Start > run > cmd ,which should then bring up a DOS window

PowerTool said:
chkdsk is a command that works via the DOS system - think you can do it in XP by going Start > run > cmd ,which should then bring up a DOS window

'Fraid that is a very common misconception, cmd.exe is NOT a dos window, it is an NT command window used for running Win 32 Console applications, of which chkdsk is one. Sure there was an old DOS program called chkdsk, but this is the NT (XP) version. It is command.exe that brings up the DOS compatible window, not CMD.exe.

thanks for the replies, for the time being i copied the file to a cd, then copied that to my zip disk (zip discs being able to be erased / written to loads of times)

but i still have no idea why it has done it, and why only the one file

That's a bit strange in light if the comment :-

"i dont think its the zip drive at fault, because i can not copy the folder to another part of my hd either (same messsage)"

Still worth running a chkdsk on though, you may wish to run the command chkdsk c: /f assuming that the offending file is on the c drive. A full chkdsk may ake a while with an 80 GB HDD !

Eddie M said:
. A full chkdsk may ake a while with an 80 GB HDD !

its partitioned though :) i wil try it now

++++++++++++++++++

done that, it checked the c drive, went slow at 95% 96% 97% etc, then finished and dissapeared, so i did it again, same thing :eek: so i guess it must be ok?

I assume you're still getting the same problem. Did chkdsk report that it was fixing any errors ?

chkdsk dissappeared as it finished, yes istill have same problem, i just tried to copy it to a blank (empty for future use) partition.

it coppied all pages in about 15 seconds flat, but not the files?

yes, sorry :oops:

i am backing up my websites (as you do) it coppies all the pages ok, but stops when it cant find a file called noz,

:idea: i made a file and called it noz, it still didn't work :cry:

so it must "know" what files to copy and compare them, so it realises there is no file called noz and stops, but i didnt have a file called noz (until i purposley made one)

Update your virus scanner, and do a virus check, i think you may be infected. A search on the jolly old interweb, has a few references to .noz files, all of them relate to viruses.

:oops: done that i scanned it with avg (which updates every night) but i really do apreciate your help :)

Sponsored Links
Back