Backfilling outside drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first post so go easy :)

I've just had my plumbers fit all the plastic drain pipes etc outside my bungalow. They said its all working, all I need to do is backfill the hole that the pipes go into. I've been told I need to use pea shingle.. how exactly do I go about filling the hole in?

I'm a newbie at this, so assume I know absolutely nothing please :)

Thanks in advance
Bern

Sponsored Links
Yes, the building control guy came round and was happy with the work. Just not sure how to cover all the pipework over. I had a look on the net and read that you need 100mm of pea shingle round the pipes, but is that round the horizontal pipes, or the bit of the vertical pipe thats in the ground or what? Not really sure.

Sponsored Links
Pipes are not really bedded on anything, there is some hardcore etc in the hole at the moment. I know this probably sounds stupid to you, but when I put shingle in the hole, how much do I put in?

Fill the entire hole up? Do I need to support the shingle so it stays around the pipes and doesn't just run everywhere?

Do I then put hardcore on top of that so I can concrete over it all?

Thank you very much, thats the sort of specifics I needed. Very helpful :) Cheers for a quick reply too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back