Bad condensation in back room...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I need some advice on what to do with condensation in a room I have in an extension on an 1870 terrace...

I have read that a good solution would be to add an air brick, but I'm concerned about draft. Is there a similar solution? Which wall do I choose to make the vent? A more sheltered wall, or the most exposed wall for maximum ventilation?

Very new to DIY, this is my first house and I have so much to learn from you guys.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
then you need to improve the ventilation. Vents on two sides will improve airflow. They need not be big.

You may as well insulate the ceiling as well.

If it has a concrete floor with no dpm, it will be soaking water out of the ground.

Are you going to tell us what this room is used for?

then you need to improve the ventilation. Vents on two sides will improve airflow. They need not be big.

You may as well insulate the ceiling as well.

If it has a concrete floor with no dpm, it will be soaking water out of the ground.

Are you going to tell us what this room is used for?

Great, thanks John. What kind of sizes? The room is about 4m x 4m.
I'm not sure I can insulate the ceiling as there's apparently lot of messy woodwork as the apex is very small. There's no access into the apex unless I make one.

It is on the first floor, so there's wooden flooring underneath the carpet.

The room is used as a human abattoir...

Just kidding it's a studio for my video production equipment and my partner's craft hobby.

if it has a wooden windowframe you can create trickle vents with a 12mm drill. Also open the window more often.

If it was me I would probably use a core drill to make a hole in the wall at each side, high up, with a hit and miss vent on the inside of each, and a cowel vent on the outside to keep rain out.

you can buy a huge SDS drill with small and medium core cutters in the kit from Screwfix for about £60 at the moment. I wouldn't use it on a ladder, though.

Try and get into the roofspace. You can look for leaks as well as insulating. If necessary you can nail Kingspan or insulated plasterboard to the ceiling

Is the bathroom near this damp room?

if it has a wooden windowframe you can create trickle vents with a 12mm drill. Also open the window more often.

If it was me I would probably use a core drill to make a hole in the wall at each side, high up, with a hit and miss vent on the inside of each, and a cowel vent on the outside to keep rain out.

you can buy a huge SDS drill with small and medium core cutters in the kit from Screwfix for about £60 at the moment. I wouldn't use it on a ladder, though.

Try and get into the roofspace. You can look for leaks as well as insulating. If necessary you can nail Kingspan or insulated plasterboard to the ceiling

Is the bathroom near this damp room?

Thanks John, Great advice!

Just to confirm, how high up the wall do I make the vent?

Is the kit just for the bits or is that including a dril too? Could you link me to a specific model, if you don't mind?

The room actually used to be a bathroom, but now the nearest bathroom is about 4 metres away.

Thanks again, very appreciated.

EDIT: I found this one, which is what I assume you meant? Luckily I can borrow an SDS drill from work

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb...kn6jjjHVM5J2T8dZ1y1T6sDhPMYrBcQF3CF!42024795#

high as you can. There may be a wooden wallplate at the top 100mm below the ceiling, so avoid that.

this is the one I got http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb279sds-5kg-sds-drill-240v/55660# It currently includes 65mm and 80mm core cutters and a good starter set of chisels and bits

It was £59.99 when I got mine in November but has gone up to £79.99 . They still do the same drill with fewer accessories at that price (no core cutters shown). Special offers come and go.

Big core cutters are quite expensive and could cost you as much as the whole big Titan kit. You get a lot more accessories in the big kit.

It is powerful and very very heavy. Mine also included a non-SDS chuck for ordinary drills but it would be unreasonably heavy for light work. It has rotostop so you can use it for chiselling or breaking concrete.

It has a 2-year guarantee which is reassuring for a budget-priced tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back