Bad cooker hood vent

Your experience is too limited (I can hear the glass ego shattering). My experience is that people are reporting the flaps being blown clean off with photographic evidence. Flex in the flaps, friction wear of the joints, UV degradation, poor manufacturing are all possible causes.

I believe I have a solution. I will get a non-return ducting valve and sand half of the flap to unbalance it so that it becomes a gravity flap. This will keep the ducting closed off from the elements. A potential problem is wind pulling it open and pushing it shut resulting in clacking noises. Wind can actually suck, people in cabals probably don't know this. Wind doesn't care what type of flap it is. It will be an experiment, I will take it off if I don't like the noise.

Sponsored Links
The only type of vent that I have (over the years) come across that flaps in wind is the type that has a single flap and a cowl over it.

Which is the very same vent I fitted to our kitchen extract. I have never heard a murmur from it, ever, but having said that, it's on the lee-side of the house. It's so quite, every few months I check it's operation by having the fan turned on/off as I observe it.

Which is the very same vent I fitted to our kitchen extract. I have never heard a murmur from it, ever, but having said that, it's on the lee-side of the house. It's so quite, every few months I check it's operation by having the fan turned on/off as I observe it.

I think the reason that my customer's used to flap open/closed was wind eddies between the two buildings. It only happened on particularly windy days when the wind was blowing in a given direction.

Your experience is too limited (I can hear the glass ego shattering). My experience is that people are reporting the flaps being blown clean off with photographic evidence. Flex in the flaps, friction wear of the joints, UV degradation, poor manufacturing are all possible causes.

I believe I have a solution. I will get a non-return ducting valve and sand half of the flap to unbalance it so that it becomes a gravity flap. This will keep the ducting closed off from the elements. A potential problem is wind pulling it open and pushing it shut resulting in clacking noises. Wind can actually suck, people in cabals probably don't know this. Wind doesn't care what type of flap it is. It will be an experiment, I will take it off if I don't like the noise.

My experience is anecdotal (read: observation based). Yours is based on youTube. Well, without a doubt, you win this this one.

Sponsored Links
Got my gravity flap vent. The flap was unbalanced by design, allowing gravity to work.
gravity-flap-vent.png

Last edited:
Well, that's done it. I have not yet fixed it in place with hybrid polymer sealant beads. Will need to give mortar repair time to harden.

vent-done.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back