bad smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise? I have a strong solvent/adhesive/paint thinner type smell coming up though the floorboards - had it for over a week, only dispelled by opening doors/windows. First started after very heavy rain. Have checked the drains - all seem OK (although we do have soakways for surface water). Electrics seem OK, not gas. I'm at my wits end as to what it can be.

Sponsored Links
I think you're going to have to take up a few floorboards and have a look.

under the stairs is often a good place to do it (probably not carpeted or tiled and any untidy carpentry will not show).

things to look for:

Is there a concrete layer under the floor, or is it earth?
Is it wet under there?
How old is the house?

Do you know if you or a neighbour have had woodworm spray or damp-proofing done under the floors recently?

Have any chemicals or solvents been used in the house or nearby (paint spraying, engineering, old factory or workshop site?)

On one occasion I was walking near a local stream, and found trichlorethylene running into it from a drain. A barrel had leaked in nearby industrial premises and was draining into a gully in their yard. I phoned the water authority which I believe arranged a cleanup at the business' expense. These things do sometimes happen when people have chemicals in store.

edited:
I suppose there is a chance it could be dangerous if a poisonous or flammable material, you might call the Council's Environmental Health? They should be interested if it is pollution.

What sort of property do you live in - are you in a flat above somebody else? If a standard house, is there a rusty tin of Brute up against the air brick? Have your kids split some balsa glue between the floor boards? Has your wife dropped nail polish on the carpet? Have you smudged some solvent on your face without knowing it so that everywhere you go you can smell it? Does your nose smell?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. i can't think of any spillages causing this.
I took some floorboards up over the weekend and the earth I can see is dry. My house was built in 1932 - there's about 3-4 feet of space between the floorboards and the ground. The strange thing is that the garage also smells badly and that's got a concrete floor.
There's a building site opposite - block of flats - and I strongly suspect they're the cause but they deny it. Rain over the weekend has reduced the smell. Environmental health aren't interested - they visited the house, had a look around (just sniffed the air, no tests) and said the problem's to do with my house only, so all they suggested was contacting an environmental consultant, whatever that is. Very helpful. I've also noticed there's a storm drain directly opposite my house on the road with an overflow pipe pointed straight at my house.
I'm just hoping we get more rain and whatever's under the house is washed away/diluted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back