Help! Weird chemical smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest an explanation to a mystery? Over the last few days I’ve gone downstairs into the backroom and smelt what I can only describe as chlorine, or at least a ‘swimming pool’ smell. It’s not exactly that, but it’s the best way to describe it. I find it a bit strong and my chest seems to tighten, but this could be psychosomatic. I have very mild asthma, so sometimes I think one thing has set off my asthma and it ends up being something else – in this instance I’ve been pulling up vinyl and generally disturbing a lot of dust in the kitchen at the moment.

Here’s the mystery: my partner can’t smell it at all, so I would think I was imagining it, but it only occurs in the downstairs back room near to the French windows. Sometimes in the kitchen too, but the entrance between the kitchen and the backroom is quite close to the French windows.

In the past I’ve smelt the same smell from the front of the house upstairs in the bedroom (which my partner thought he could vaguely smell something), but that was definitely coming from outside. I had to shut the window it was so strong. This does make me wonder if the smell is coming from outside, only this time at the back of the house. We have a strong suspicion that when the French windows were put in the workmen didn’t fill in the gap under the doors properly, hence a draft, invading slugs and (when it gets blocked) drain smells (it’s right outside the French windows).

It’s starting to drive me bonkers, especially as it could be something mundane or potentially hazardous. Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Might be a plumbing leak, especially if you use bleach-based cleaners in WC or sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back