ball cock in cold water tank upside down!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we recently had a new bathroom fitted, since then the hot water from the taps in bathroom/ kitchen keeps running out. i had a look at the cold water tank in the airing cupboard and the water level was really low so i thought i would try and fill it up again, but the ball cock was hanging in mid air and i had to lift it up to fill the tank and the water was shooting up not down, shouldnt it be the other way round!?? the guy who fitted our bathroom said he didnt mess with it and the water was fine before we had the new bathroom fitted, anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm guessing not!

Sponsored Links
Pic of ballvalve may help, but if the arm and float were 'hanging in mid air' then valve should be the right way round. (If it was upside down the cistern would have kept filling and overflowed.) I suspect it is the modern type of valve, and there should be a plastic 'arm' on the top, through which the water flows into the cistern. This arm simply clips on, if it has broken off then the water will come out upwards!

Maybe able to source a spare part from a scrap valve, or alternatively replace the entire thing, retail at under a fiver. http://www.screwfix.com/p/part-2-float-valve-brass/92516#

Sponsored Links
Pic of ballvalve may help, but if the arm and float were 'hanging in mid air' then valve should be the right way round. (If it was upside down the cistern would have kept filling and overflowed.) I suspect it is the modern type of valve, and there should be a plastic 'arm' on the top, through which the water flows into the cistern. This arm simply clips on, if it has broken off then the water will come out upwards!

Maybe able to source a spare part from a scrap valve, or alternatively replace the entire thing, retail at under a fiver. http://www.screwfix.com/p/part-2-float-valve-brass/92516#[/QUOTE]

It is probably in the CWS!

Hugh - it could be a part 1 turned (itself) round - and the weight of the ball ( maybe an old copper one with water in ) would hold the mains water back . Then lifting it would allow the water out - upwards . Fits with OP`s explanation ;)

Totally agree Nige, but have to wonder how it's turned itself 180deg! (Unless there are Poltergeists at work!) :LOL:

I reckon the plumner turn it over to save turning the water off and forgot to turn it back. :LOL:

[/quote]
01665"]I reckon the plumner turn it over to save turning the water off and forgot to turn it back. :LOL:
Hey! Good idea, saves trying to find a peice of string to tie up the valve ;)

guy who fitted our bathroom is coming on friday to sort it out but like i say he says he hasnt touched it. seems odd that before we had bathroom done we had no problem with hot water and now it runs out. so at the moment im having to refill the water tank by lifting the ball cock which gives us enough hot water to last about a day! weird

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back