bare brik wall in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are doing some building work in the now kitchen/diner and the lounge area.
The rest of the area is being fully decorated I decided to strip down the kitchen walls to bare brick to prepare for the job to be done in the near future. THis will avoid me creating a whole heap of dust at a later date.

I would like to somehow seal the brickwork (to prevent oils etc settling into the mortar/ brick)as the kitchen will still be in use. I dont want to bond the walls just yet as i dont want to shell out on the unnecessary job.
I can imagine painting the bare brick with some emulsion would be a bad idea.

What do you suggest? i have seen this

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1268049182864&isSearch=false

Your suggestions will al be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
The product you mention is really a brickwork water proofer, which is used to prevent water ingress when the brickwork is particularly porous.
I think applying a PVA solution would work well here, and after a couple of coats you could brighten the place up with a coat of emulsion if you wish.
John :)

Okay,
i reallly have to pay attention to my typing, i promise i can spell correctly, i just type like Jessica Fletcher- very fast.

I have used pva in preparation for my plasterer to come in but it eventually dries up leaving the brickwork the same colour.
Will i be able to bond over the emulsioned area in the future?

Nothing that will do any harm is going to settle or soak in to the brick while you are cooking (unless you run a take away service?). If you are that paranoid then screw a piece of plasterboard as a splash back behind the cooker to catch any 'spits'. Don't emulsion the bare brick walls, it wont go on well because you've pva'd and your plasterer will hate you for it.

Sponsored Links
Get some old corrugated cardboard boxes, open 'em out and tack 'em to the wall, job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back