Housing one's velocipede

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to construct a lean-to shed to house my bicycle. I've composed a rough sketch of my proposition which you can see below. I plan to have a few shelves at one end and I plan to use this treated timber.

One of my questions pertains to the sheet materials needed for the roof. Aesthetics are a consideration; what materials might one use?

My other question pertains to the affixing of the construction to the plastered wall. What precautions might be taken to prevent water from entering the wall at the point of fixing? Does it make sense to drill upwards (I imagine that this will compromise the load-bearing capacity)?

bikeshed.png

Sponsored Links
Plastered? Is this an external wall? If so, are you sure it's not rendered?

What wall is this (garage, garden, house...etc) ?

As to the roof. A chunk of 22mm exterior grade ply with some roofing felt fitted to it should do it. Or alternativly, feather edge fence boards overlapped to make a waterproof roof.

I would use a sheet of the flat clear polycarb sheet for the roof, You don't need to worry about water entering at the fixings because you will have a length of flashing embedded into the wall which runs onto the roof so no water gets down the back.

You should also connect the two timber triangles at the ends to each other at the wall and at their point. You may need extra support in the middle to fix your roof sheet to.

Attach the long length to the wall first and work from there. 4x2 will be ok assuming its not an exposed spot and the span is not to big.

If it an exposed area you may need to over-engineer it a bit as you would be very surprised how wind uplift will affect it.

Sponsored Links
Good work, gentlemen!

Rendering is precisely what I meant but knew not the terminology to properly convey!

Ultimately, I decided to use feather-edge fencing boards which I am delighted to find have also been concurrently suggested here. They are probably a more economical and also more aesthetically-pleasing alternative to roofing felt.

I will investigate my options with regards to flashing (I expect that there are less toxic alternatives to lead) but will need to consider the aesthetic implications of its inclusion.

I will post the final design and, ultimately, the photographs of the completed project. The project is liable to postponement however, until after completion of another project in the yard.

Thank you for your time.

featheredge is not very rainproof (it expands, contracts and warps with the weather) so I would suggest some roofing felt under it. Leave it loose enough to droop slightly between the timbers and any water will run down the middle.

Have you considered corrugated fibreboard for the roof? In can look nice in the dark green colour and can be mixed with a bit of transparent if you want to let some light through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back