Barn - Upstairs / Downstairs Plans - Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly there with the planning of the electrics for my new house.

Here are the plans and where they are up to:-

Downstairs plan
Downstairs.jpg

Upstairs plan
Upstairs.jpg

Key to both
Key.jpg

Forgive handwriting etc but much has been done in the wind and cold etc etc..

Comments gratefully recieved....

EDIT - Not done lighting points (only switches), fans, shower, heating, smoke alarms, alarm....

D

Sponsored Links
Looks good to me.

Can't see any smoke alarms on the drawing though ;)

2 CUs in the boiler room? I'd be a biot concerned about voltage drop all the way to the kitchen, you're probably going to need 4 or 5 circuits in the kitchen, a submain might be a good idea.

I will ask the spark when he comes.

A submain could be routed across the courtyard (underground) to a second CU using heavier cable?? Is that the idea?? This can done by the spark and not the DNO??

D

Sponsored Links
A submain would come off one of the CUs there, on say a 50 or 63 amp MCB, using 16mm² cable, to the other side of the house.

A better way to go would be to split the meter tails and protect the submain with an 80 amp switchfuse. Then run 25mm² SWA to the other end to a CU there.

The cables can be run indoors, and this is always preferable to running them underground.

Your spark can do all this.

not strictly all electrical but...

there is no door between the garage and the utility room, and no door between the utility room and the rest of the house..

since your CU's will be in the boiler house, you will have to go outside to re-set a breaker in the pitch black should it happen to be a lighting breaker..
I would personally put them in the utility room.. then sub mains to the kitchen, and one to the boiler house..

the "en-suite" to bedroom 3 looks a little small, i'm asuming it is just going to be a toilet and sink?

might be worth just using it as built in closet..?

the stairs might be better off to the left and then loose the wall between the lounge and stairway to give a "great room" feel..

the upper stair well space could be used for en-suites to bedrooms 4 and 3..

if you are going to have an earth rod, the best place for it is near to the septic tank as this ground is always damp and full of salts etc to make it conduct better..

I'm sorry if any of my comments or observations have offended you, but a fresh perspective sometimes throws up things you never thought of..

also, shouldn't this be under "projects"?

ColJack said:
not strictly all electrical but...

there is no door between the garage and the utility room, and no door between the utility room and the rest of the house..
These are just the 'as is' plans - their are separate ones for building regs that show all the doors and the way they open

ColJack said:
since your CU's will be in the boiler house, you will have to go outside to re-set a breaker in the pitch black should it happen to be a lighting breaker..
I would personally put them in the utility room.. then sub mains to the kitchen, and one to the boiler house..
I think that one of the CU's will end up in the server room as there is a Lighting Control Panel going in there for the automation of the lights so this issue should be resolved

ColJack said:
the "en-suite" to bedroom 3 looks a little small, i'm asuming it is just going to be a toilet and sink?

might be worth just using it as built in closet..?
There is just enough room for a toilet, shower and sink - just up to this point now as I am moving onto the plumbing design.

ColJack said:
the stairs might be better off to the left and then loose the wall between the lounge and stairway to give a "great room" feel..
Funny you should say that as I plan to remove the wall on the left (leaving the lounge intact) so when you come in through the front door you will be in a huge living room with a cathedral ceiling in the hallway and a glass gallery landing - a huge print on the right hand wall (that forms the bedroom).

ColJack said:
I'm sorry if any of my comments or observations have offended you, but a fresh perspective sometimes throws up things you never thought of..
Not offended at all - I like fresh perspectives. I have been taking as many people there as possible to get their views.

Posted this here as I was wanting comment on the electrical side of things (not that I mind other comments cos I don't) - but that why its not in projects.

Cheers

D

in which case might i sugest moving the stairs to the right then so as to increase the space in the room and allow clearer views into the "gallery" and an onobstructed view from the front door to the door/window looking onto the courtyard.. ..
:D

what server room? is that the one labled utility at the moment with the big pink square moved into it?

more thoughts..

change the kitchen and dining room round.
this makes it so that you don't have to trapse through the dining room to get to the kitchen and makes the dining room more formal.

put a "conservatory" in the courtyard as far out as the garage dividing wall and straight across.
this gives you somewhere to sit on summer evenings, somewhere to put plants in the winter to bring the garden indoors and somewhere nice to sit and have breakfast sometimes..

BTW, thanks for providing me with another idea for my "dream house" collection.. I'm up to 4 now.. all planned out and ready for when I win the lottery...

ColJack said:
in which case might i sugest moving the stairs to the right then so as to increase the space in the room and allow clearer views into the "gallery" and an onobstructed view from the front door to the door/window looking onto the courtyard.. ..
:D

This is a definite possibility - as the stairs are only first fix at the moment I am going to move them around a little and see where they sit best - if they do stay central then they will be done in stainless steel and glass (ouch!!)

ColJack said:
what server room? is that the one labled utility at the moment with the big pink square moved into it?

Yes - this will have the AV and lighting kit in it....

more thoughts..

ColJack said:
change the kitchen and dining room round.
this makes it so that you don't have to trapse through the dining room to get to the kitchen and makes the dining room more formal.

We have done this one to death - trouble is many drains are already in place - secondly we didnt want the kitchen directly off the lounge. Thirdly see comments on conservatory....

ColJack said:
put a "conservatory" in the courtyard as far out as the garage dividing wall and straight across.
this gives you somewhere to sit on summer evenings, somewhere to put plants in the winter to bring the garden indoors and somewhere nice to sit and have breakfast sometimes..

Mind reader!!! - this is already been granted planning permission - just wont be in the initial build due to cost. This will then give a route from the utility to the kitchen and from the living room and lounge to the kitchen without having to go through the dining room...

ColJack said:
BTW, thanks for providing me with another idea for my "dream house" collection.. I'm up to 4 now.. all planned out and ready for when I win the lottery...

Well I wish you luck!! This is a big gamble for me as I am not a rich man!! Will take me a lot of hard work and some considerable time but it will be worth it.

May post some pics in Projects in the future...

D

Security and CCTV might be a worthy consideration.

CCTV camera's via PC server wired in Cat5 and powered by PoE hub prevent the need for power adjacent to the camera units

Chri5 said:
Security and CCTV might be a worthy consideration.

CCTV camera's via PC server wired in Cat5 and powered by PoE hub prevent the need for power adjacent to the camera units

Plan for 4 CCTV cameras running back to server room where they will connect (BNC) to a DVR unit. The DVR will be one of the video inputs the AV unit can take so you can flick the TV in any room to CCTV and see all 4 cameras.

The cameras are already up and there are lights next to each illuminating the cameras field of vision. They also appear to have either motion sensors or light sensitive whatsits on.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back