Base block, yes or no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all renewing my skirtings and door facings and noticed in the Howdens site that it doesn't show base blocks just the door facings straight to floor.

So can I ask what's the current opinion on fitting them ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
do you mean arcitrave straight to floor if so base blocks(plinths) are down to you they used them when the skirting was thicker than the arcitrave so it up to you i think they add character

thanks have Edited the post, yes they show the door architraves going straight to the floor I have 125 ogee skirtings and would be fitting 70mm ogee facings round the door, but I didn't have any mdf for the base blocks so decided to ask on here, what was in fashion, not been in many new builds lately

I have only seen the blocks on rather grand old houses.

Sponsored Links
yeah you will do the different thinkness is why but there is nothing to stop you using them with normal skirt an arc its down to you if you like it do it if not drop the arcitrave to floor

Likewise. It is often used to protect the bottoms of built-up 2- or 3-part architraves which can be rather thin near the casing edge and are therefore too fragile to withstand any sort of kicking, etc (and skirtings and architraves can lead a hard life)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back