Base for drive ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be flagging my front for a car to go on. I have dug down 150mm to allow for 100mm of hardcore then 50mm flag. I have alot of hardcore bricks flags etc as I have knocked alot down in this house. Will just smashed up bricks etc wacked down be ok to save me buying mot 1 ?

Sponsored Links
It might be OK :!: look at the bricks here you will need to scroll down after clicking the link

The reason Type 1 gets mentioned so much is because it contains the aggregate size mix that results in a pretty solid bed when compacted.

You need to try and avoid hardcore with voids in it. Just dumping in the bricks is not a good idea. packing them in as you would stack them would be better. But it is not recommended. The more solid your sub-base the less your flags will settle.

Personally I think an overall depth of construction of just 150mm is a bit on the light side. You can get detailed information here for your project

Thanks for reply, looked at that site it states 150mm is fine. Would using some of the hardcore spread in then using some mot 1 be ok ?

Sponsored Links
SO if I smash them up into small pieces then lay grit sand over and wack down would this be ok ?

SO if I smash them up into small pieces then lay grit sand over and wack down would this be ok ?
sure if you have time to spend doing it and you have a strong right arm.
how many bricks are we talking here? 200? 1000?

It is mainly 1ft x 1ft flags I have and I would say about a 100, I still need to buy some mot 1 as well.

If I smash up in to say 40mm chunks then lay down and go over few times with whacker plate then lay grit sand over then whack Would this be a sufficient base for a drive. It would be 100mm whacked hardcore with grit sand compact then 50mm 2 x 2 concrete flag on top ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back