Basement and right to light

I suppose that by law any living space should receive a minimum of natural light otherwise it could be bad for the health. So what is this law?

You can keep asking the same question in a different manner, again and again and again.

You will still be given the same answer.

But feel free to keep wasting time and getting up peoples nose.

Sponsored Links
There's no minimum natural light requirement.
Must admit that I'm surprised by that. We have a section of our office at work which could be used as a small classroom but which cannot be officially timetabled for use as it has no natural light source (ie window). Or so we've been told by the council :confused:

But, as always, I'm happy to be corrected on such matters :)

There's no minimum natural light requirement.
Must admit that I'm surprised by that. We have a section of our office at work which could be used as a small classroom but which cannot be officially timetabled for use as it has no natural light source (ie window). Or so we've been told by the council :confused:

But, as always, I'm happy to be corrected on such matters :)
That's Health & Safety not Planning or Building Regulations legislation.

Sponsored Links
Ah. Thanks for that. I foolishly, for one brief naive moment ;) , thought that the powers that be had actually done some joined up thinking and conferred :LOL: :LOL:

A temporary slip up on my part!

Well if you think about it, common sense generally prevails, whilst there maybe nothing stopping someone building say an extension to their house with a room with no natural daylight (background ventilation issues aside) the resale value is likely to be diminished compared to if the room had been naturally lit and strangely most people like to be able to feel a connection to the outside world. Within a school though for example, where common sense is often ignored there is other legislation to ensure the environment is suitable.

There's no building regulation that says a room must have a window. Ventilation yes, but not a window. Not that I'd want one without mind you, but just saying!

‘freddymercurystwin’ promised me a copy of the

Site Layout Planning for Daylight and
Sunlight: a Guide to Good Practice’, published by the Building Research
Establishment BRE.

However I have not yet received it

Just to make sure I understand the position:

The owner of a house with a basement is possibly thinking of making alterations.

Auction does not own the house with the basement, nor the adjacent house.

For some reason not disclosed, Auction wants to obstruct the owner of the house with the basement.

Auction says he has a good reason for objecting but will not say what it is.

Auction thinks that insufficient natural light might be a good ground to object, but seems to have spontaneously generated the idea.

Auction is offended that members of this site have not rushed to support him.

Have I missed anything?

I renew my demand to be given a copy of Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight: a Guide to Good Practice’, published by the Building Research Establishment BRE.

Demand, eh?

What do you know about copyright?

You could have walked to your local library by now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back