Basement and right to light

Do you think that a planning department is going to grant planning permission to build a flat in a basement where there will no natural light and very little space???????

Are you living there, ....No?

Then this issue is between the planning department and your neighbour, you’re doing nothing but using it as a tool to get what *you* want, don't make me laugh by pretending you are doing it for altruistic reasons. How likely do you think such a strategy will benefit you rather than annoy people, including the planning department, people don’t react favourably to someone telling them how to do their job.

Accept what is and isn’t your business and what you have grounds to object to, and remember you catch more bees with honey than vinegar, nobody acts favourably to a pushy busybody who won’t accept the answer he is given.

Sponsored Links
Why does it bother you whether the neighbour gets planning permission for a basement flat?

The Planning Department are concerned with the enforcement of Planning Policy. How buildable or dingy an apartment might be (beyond standards defined in Policy - so, things like the London plan, for instance) are immaterial to them. The Planning Department is not the Building Control department

Not only building regulation departments take into account the issue of space and light but also planning departments because I found out that planning departments take into account the following document

‘Site Layout Planning for Daylight and
Sunlight: a Guide to Good Practice’, published by the Building Research
Establishment BRE.

However we have to pay for it unless one of you know how to get it for free in the Internet

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that Local Authorities refer to all sorts of guidance; but that doesn't make it policy, and it doesn't mean that the Planning Inspectorate will support their position at appeal.

Not only building regulation departments take into account the issue of space and light but also planning departments because I found out that planning departments take into account the following document

‘Site Layout Planning for Daylight and
Sunlight: a Guide to Good Practice’, published by the Building Research
Establishment BRE.

However we have to pay for it unless one of you know how to get it for free in the Internet

What part of "it is none of your business" do you not understand?

In case this planning permission is intended to be decided by a planning committee of councillors and the planning department has issued a report which recommends that this planning permission application is accepted and I would like to oppose it during the meeting with the planning committee of councillors. In this case this is my business because I would need to demonstrate that the planning department is wrong and that no enough light enter in this basement

It is why I renew my demand to be given a copy of Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight: a Guide to Good Practice’, published by the Building Research Establishment BRE.

I prefer to be given a copy of it so that I do not need to go a library to read it. Moreover I will be able to read it on my own time

Concerning paying £55 it is only to use it once I am not a professional surveyor. Moreover I do not need it myself because I am helping a friend

Frankly, you are wasting your time.

These publications are only guidance, and designers and planners are not duty-bound to follow them.

At least as recently as the 'seventies, there was a Building Regulations requirement for a 'zone of open space' outside the window to a habitable room.
It could be quite complicated to work out, but was to intended to ensure that the room had a reasonable level of light.

But this was scrapped years ago, probably due to the recognition that we are an increasingly densely-populated, urban nation. It is perhaps more important to the powers that be, that housing be provided, rather than fretting over whether a room will be adequately lit. [/i]

I suppose that by law any living space should receive a minimum of natural light otherwise it could be bad for the health. So what is this law?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back