Basic Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are looking to convert our loft into a bedroom. We hope to do a lot of the work ourselves i.e fitting a bathroom, electrics, building storage etc. But we need all the basic structural work done and 2 velux windows fitted.

The space is approx 22 square meters.

With a budget of £10,000 do you think this can be done?

Many Thanks
Dee

Sponsored Links
Maybe, or maybe not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post useful, please hit the 'thanks' button.

Sponsored Links
Yes... However be aware that Most of the money will go to making it all legal/ in paperworks and reinforcing the roof structure if it needs done..
the rest is easy and cheap,
I did a 21sqm loft without bathroom + about 10sqm of in-built storage where ceiling height was below 1m few years ago.
About 1.2k for just the materials after you are done with all the hard work by paying off all the rip-off fees/and making it compliant.

Loft conversions are terrible terrible terrible, simply because of so many things that needs addressing that you didn't think of in first place.

Last edited:
With a budget of £10,000 do you think this can be done?
NO.

Has anyone posting above actually carried out a loft conversion to B'regs?

Steel?

Staircase?

Floor joists?

Velux installation?

Celotex insulation detail?

I am perhaps being harsh. If you carry out the lofty over say 15 years, that way you can go to car boot sales, use on-line cheapo scrounger sites, wait for any old pensioner offers at DIY sheds and generally ***** your way through the project on sixpence.

Hi

I understand that planning and building reg drawings are expensive, I already have plans in place for those, so that would not be coming out of the £10,000.

I was just asking if the building work alone could be done for £10,000.

I was just asking if the building work alone could be done for £10,000.
£10k will buy you two - three weeks work, the staircase and the Velux fitted. You may get some of the Celotex fitted too. You will then have the floor detail, the plasterboarding, the rest of the Celotex, the skimming, waste disposal, scaffold (possibly), making good, electrics, heating, decorating, carpets.

If you have got double that money then you are getting closer.

My friend Wendy got a £10k loft conversion at her house.

But as a pure diy project with discounts and cash purchases, and basic fit out I think it might be close.

Hi

I understand that planning and building reg drawings are expensive, I already have plans in place for those, so that would not be coming out of the £10,000.

Post a shot of the plans.

NO.

Has anyone posting above actually carried out a loft conversion to B'regs?

Steel?

Staircase?

Floor joists?

Velux installation?

Celotex insulation detail?

I am perhaps being harsh. If you carry out the lofty over say 15 years, that way you can go to car boot sales, use on-line cheapo scrounger sites, wait for any old pensioner offers at DIY sheds and generally ***** your way through the project on sixpence.

I carried mine out over 2months as a complete DIY project, I sourced the most expensive stuff off ebay ( that is the 1.6k worth of oak flooring I got for 100).
Did the staircase myself, timber cost was around 200 for it , I'm fairly good at carpentry and got all the tools so I just make everything myself..
Insulation again I got for pennies from fleabay.
All the timber for everything else, I got from a good cheap place I have been using for a long time.
Window- I got someone to fit it for cheap only because someone certified needs to do it - Let me tell you it's utter bull$hit but what can you do...
I bought a very nice marshalltown trowel and learned how to plaster myself, that alone saved me around 1k.
My dad is electrician so I asked him to wire everything up, again huge savings.

I spent on all the legal fees/specific things to make it legal MORE than I spent on materials to do everything.

You don't even need the 10k to do it if you do some things yourself and source your materials wisely, if your current loft structure doesn't needs a lot of modification you can even do it for well under 5k as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back