Basic Loft Conversion

Sponsored Links
I would very much doubt it, but depends what your £10K has to cover and also the design, are you putting a dormer on 22sqm sounds like a std Victorian terrace. I have just done mine and I am in the building game not including my time I have spent close to £20k all be it to a pretty decent spec.

Steelwork £2500
structural timber £1750
2 veluxes £700
insulation £1000
cladding £1200
2 x windows £1000 (wooden sashes)
roofing £700
staircase £900
bathroom £1300
plumbing and electrics £500
various casual labour £1000
that's just the structure and main items, doesn't include Bregs, SE fees, internal joinery, plasterboarding or plaster(did my own plastering), built in storage which I reckon was close to £500, nor decorating and carpet

Currently doing mine, I got an architect to do me some drawings (but it means its regs compliant) which cost about £600 from memory (may have been less), Building control fees (to cover not just my loft but Hip to gable, windows, and a bunch of other stuff was £800. Approx cost for timber to build new floor and a whole new roof structure was about £1400 approx. I am paying a builder to build my gable end and help me install 3 steels so about £5k for that. None of this incudes windows, internal plasterboard or the very expensive Kingspan/Celotex type insulation. Planning didn't cost me because I did it under PD rules. If I could lay blocks myself I wold have saved a lot I know but I cant so :) I also decided to replace all my roof tiles which is £1300 in my case, seemed silly not to, especially as if I do it in the future I would pay another £600 to scaffold it again. Stairs I havnt firmed up yet but £1k ish if I get some made.

Sponsored Links
Which just goes to show that how cheap you can do it, will depend on your skills, and the complexity of the job; no hard and fast rules whatsoever, and no costings able to be given withot looking at details.

Mine cost me about £2K, but was a straight room conversion without any plumbing, and the stairs jig cost more than the wood for the stairs. But 10 years on, I wouldn't be doing it again on my own. It'll cost me a lot more next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back