bath base board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are fitting a new bathroom and are currently fitting the bath.

All the pipes have been sorted. the bath is upstairs and my husband and I are 'discussing' whether or not to leave the MDF base board on the bath.

There are 4 metal legs - all attached to a single thick sheet of MDF using 2 screws at each leg.

should this board be removed or do we leave it attached.

The floor is wooden floorboards. The previous bath was ~30 years old and did not have a base board.

cheers

J

Sponsored Links
Leave it attached :eek:

Also cut some skirting board up to place between the bath feet and wooden floor boards.

If you take it off, and step in the bath, expect the bath to distort horribly, or have your foot go through the bottom. Many baths need additional support, such as blocks of wood under the centre line.

don't remove the mdf board or the bath will not be rigid. and the bottom will go through when you get in.
old baths where alot thicker than todays rubbish.

Sponsored Links
thanks - see I knew i was right. (typical woman)

we have had to take in off to get the legs to sit between to two feeder pipes.

screwing it back in the same place after will be ok wont it??

also should I put something between the underside ofthe bath and the base board to fill the gap??

Now you've completely lost me. I always thought these boards were moulded and glued to the fibre glass bath its self :eek:

You should have moved the pipes to accommodate the legs, not the way you have done it :confused:

the bath is white fibre glass.

this is sat on a metal frame that suports the bath from the underside of the rim and leave 4 metal legs underneath. Thes legs are screwed to a MDF board.

water pipes come up under the bath and are rigid. We have capped the piped with isolator valves and the water in the house is now back on - no leaks!!

the water pipes take a pre-defined path from the hole in the floor to the taps of the bath and between these pipes is where the metal leg screws to the board.

therefore - in order to keep the bath on the board we had to unscrew it, place the board on the floor under where the pipes run so the are and then repleace the bath over the board - and srew them down.

I hope that makes more sence. I really need a picture to show you.

thanks so so much

(ps we tried to get 2 plumbers and they both let us down. The bath has been sitting in the garagge for 6 weeks now and the tiler is coming on wednesday!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back