Bath earthing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just had a new steel bath fitted and a bit worried about it being earthed.
I have attached a picture, does it look to be earthed properly?

Also I have this part on my bath and was wondering what it was for?
[/img]

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That tab on the bath is for an earth connection. Do you know if you have supplementary bonding (other than the bonding between hot and cold pipes) in your bathroom - e.g. on the radiator/towel rail or at the light/shaver/switch?

Do you know if you have RCD protection to all of the circuits in the bathroom?

The connection between your hot and cold pipes looks ok. This does not mean that you have adequate bonding in the bathroom though. It depends on your answers to the above questions.

Hi I don't know if I have supplementary bonding for the light and towel rail. Also don't know if I have RCD protection. How can I find out if I do

I got a new bathroom fitted and the steel bath replaced a plastic bath and the guy fitted a towel rail and replaced an electric shower with a mixer shower.

That tab on the bath is for an earth connection

don't talk coblers.. how can that be an earth connection?
for a start it's got a plastic cover on it, secondly it's powdercoated..

at a guess it's a lifting eye for something.. there'll be another one on the other side..

Sponsored Links

at a guess it's a lifting eye for something.. there'll be another one on the other side..

good luck lifting a steel bath with something as flimsy looking as that.

i think you will find the tab is actually a hanger for when the bath is enamelled on a paint line they are used to ensure the bath is held in the right place for the spray guns to coat the rest of the bath and you will find the paint doesn't cover it completely. (I used to do stove enamelling!)

that's what i said... it's a lifting eye / hanging eye

and you'd be surprised what you can lift with a flimsy looking eye..

we used to lift huge condenser coils into the AC units we built with 2mm thick lifting plates very similar to the one on that bath..

A metal bath is not an 'extraneous conductive part' so therefore will not require supplemetary bonding.

A steel bath could easily be hung up using those tabs - steel baths are not that heavy (one person could lift it).
The ones which need 10 people to move them are cast iron.

state your reasons for not classifying a bath as an extraneous conductive part?

In it's own right, can it introduce a potential, generally earth potential??

No - so no need to supp bond that either.
The pipework feeding the radiator and the bath may still need to be bonded if they are classed as extraneous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back