bath fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a new bath ceiling fan...basic model, nothing fancy. When it came to the wiring, it stated to connect the black w/black and white w/white. Simple, although I am a do-it-yourselfer, I'm not an idiot. (I did our outside lighting with no problem.) But it also said to connect the green wire w/ green or bare wire. Now what if there is no green or bare wire for me to connect the fixture to? Do you just cap it and leave it be or does it need to be connected somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
I know you are not in the UK, but if you were (this forum is) I would say you need a rewire, since you have no earth (bare) to connect to.

just leaving it is like standing under a one ton weight tied to the ceiling by a burning rope. You know what is going to happen, the question is when

may i suggest you try here as it is based in America, but i think even in America your fan should be earthed

thanks for the advice. Hopefully the fan manufacturer will respond to my question as well, but it will probably be a few days. I may just have to return it and see what other options I may have.

I'm not an expert on US codes, but I would have thought that changing a fan for one that doesn't need a ground because your circuit doesn't have one was solving the problem from the wrong direction...

Sponsored Links
i believe i said that, but i arranged the letters in a differnt order

Back