Bath Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an ancient metal bath. It had the remains of a whole lot of insulation in the gap under and around it, which was crumbling and damp in places so I ripped the lot out.

Personally I'd rather not have insulation in there, I'd rather board it back up with out insulation, but with decent ventilation and leave it at that.

Do metal baths actually require insulation?

If so will expanding foam do the job or is there something better?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
No they don't need insulation, but it does help keep the water warmer for longer.

PS - when measuring your tap holes, measure centre to centre ;)

Never seen it myself, but have thought about it.

I can imagine that a cold metal bath could make a hot bath cool down quite quickly.

Sponsored Links
I've just fitted a new metal bath in my own home and I completely filled under and behind the bath with insulation. I done this after 2 weeks of the bath being fitted, it makes a big difference for little cost. Also it makes the bath quieter from downstairs.

Andy

PS - when measuring your tap holes, measure centre to centre ;)

Thanks Cantaloup and XR4x4.

Cantaloup, it's not an exact science but I measured centre to centre as best I could.
Just checking ;) When you stated on another thread "the gap between" the tap holes, this could have a couple of meanings so it seemed appropriate that we all agree. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back