Bath Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a plastic type standard bath which moves when entering the bath. We keep having to reseal around bath as it is cracking. we have tried filling with water and resealing but after a while it still cracks due to the bath moving. Is there any way of tightning the feet of the bath to minimise movement thus solving our cracking problem. Any advice/tips would be most helpful. Regards

Toby Wenham

PS Great site keep up the good work.

Sponsored Links
These baths are usually supported on four or five adjustable legs (four corners plus one in the middle). Make sure that all legs are taking weight equally. You can do this by slacking off the adjustment screws, and using a spirit level on the bath,to make sure it is level both along its length and width, adjust each leg to just touch the floor, and then tighten each by one turn with a spanner. If there is a locknut, make sure it is tightened. If there is any movement in the floor boards, you can reduce this by placing a stout bit of timber approx 12 inches by 2 inches by one inch thick under each leg, at right angles to the floor boards so the weight is distributed across more than one floorboard.

We wedged a few pieces of 4x4 wood under the frame either side of the legs. It really does make the bath sturdier.

We went even further to stop this problem.

The feet were used only to establish position.

We then fixed the long run to the wall with angle brackets on the poxy wooden bath frame. Then we added 3 massive 6*3 wood "stands" under the bath board. And then put 3*2 stands between the floor and the two non-wall corners.

Seems to work....

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem with my bath which I've just fitted, the problem being that the frame fits fine the one end, but doesn't seem to quite seat correctly the other end - there is a gap of about 1.5-2mm between the frame and the chipboard base of the bath; this is a large enough gap to prevent the securing screws bolting through to the underside of the bath. Any ideas of what to do? I've checked the way the frame attaches to the bath at the top and it is perfect, it just seems to be slightly too long.

I just bought a 2nd hand resin bath/jacuzzi. I went to help remove it & it had 2 sets of breeze blocks with plaster slopped on them as suppport for the main bath...

Guest 1...ideally it would be best to remove the bath and refit by fixing a 2x1 batten to the wall to support the whole length of the bath along the wall,(the bath edge would sit onto this batten;thats how i fit all baths)
then before fixing the bath in place run a thick line of proper silicone which sticks bath to wall (not kitchen+bathroom sealant type stuff) along the edges that meet the walls,fit bath into position screw down feet and leave for 24 hours.
However,as the bath is already in place and you may damage tiles/decor when removing it try this.......2 pieces of 2x2"aprox 2ft long or so,wedge each one under the bath edge where it meets the wall (one at each end of the bath)so that they are at an angle from the bath edge to the floorboards,its awkward to explain but this is the angle i mean.../....
then tap them inward at the bottom so they are tight,then screw a small batten into floorboards tight against the bottom of 2x2 to stop it slipping.
I hope i havent totaly confused you!
Guest 5........pump loads of gripfill or no nails between metal and chip board,smooth it around and leave 24 hours.

I hope this helps.

I LIVE IN THE ROMFORD AREA AND HAVE RECENTLY HAD MY BUNGALOW CONVERTED INTO A 'SHALET STYLE' HOUSE, WHICH HAS INCLUDED A NEW UPSTAIRS BATHROOM. SADLY THE BUILDER HAS DONE AN AWFUL JOB OF FITTING MY RATHER EXPENSIVE 4MM THICK IDEAL STANDARD 'CASPIAN BATH.' HAVING ALREADY HAD TO REFIT IT AFTER HE FORGOT TO ADD THE WALL BRACKETS, THE BATH 'CLONKS' AT BOTH ENDS WHEN YOU STEP INTO IT AND/OR WALK IN IT.
I HAVE CONTACTED DCH IN ROMFORD, WHO SUPPLIED THE BATH AND ADVISED THEM OF MY DESPAIR, BUT SADLY THEIR FITTER HAS NEVER BOTHERED TO CALL ME. THEY WILL NOT GIVE ME HIS NUMBER SO THAT I CAN CONTACT HIM DIRECTLY.
AS THE BATH WILL HAVE TO BE TAKEN OUT AND REFITTED PROPERLY (BASICALLY THE METAL SUPPORT RAILS HAVE TO HAVE ALL THE SCREWS INSERTED AND TIGHTENED AND THE FEET NEED TO BE ADJUSTED ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN PLACED ON STOUT BITS OF TIMBER GOING ACROSS THE JOISTS) ARE THERE ANY FITTERS OUT THERE IN THE ROMFORD AREA WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN REFITTING MY BATH TO THE STANDARD IT RICHLY DESERVES ?
I BOUGHT A QUALITY BATH TO AVOID THESE SORT OF PROBLEMS BUT SADLY IT WAS JUST BEYOND THE CAPABILITIES OF MY USELESS BUILDER.
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP.......

Tell the company that you are going to report them to ' The Office of Fair Trading ' if not sorted. That will worry them,specially with bad publicity & fines.

moderator locked to prevent hijacking (again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back