Bath sealant not working......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new bathroom fitted and I have noticed that the sealant (Silicone) has got cracks in it which allows the shower water to leak onto the floor. The bath has been re-siliconed but we still get the same problem. I think it is due to the bath moving slightly when someone gets in and out. The legs to the bath have been tightened as much as possible to reduce any movement. Can anyone out there advise of a fix for this?

Sponsored Links
You shoud fill the bath with water before you seal it with silicone, and leave the water in while the silicone cures.

Ideally if you can run a small timber or the bath may already have a timber underneath the lip of the bath and put in some upright supports from the floor level like 2"x1" to stop any movement of the bath. Don't wedge it too tight otherwise the bath will lift. Fill the bath with water, sealant overnight then empty water.

Sponsored Links
Bath movement occurs most often when:

1. The flooring isn't secure;
or
2. The feet of the legs aren't screwed to the floor.

Also, if you can fix two, or even just one, angle bracket from the bath frame (if it has one) to the wall, then this will help more than you might expect.
Also, as RF Lighting says, fill the bath and leave full until the silicone is cured.

Also, all silicones are not equal - cheap stuff is no better than PlayDo, so get the best quality mildew-resistant sanitary sealant that you can find. You could do worse than use Dow Corning 785.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back