supporting a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a corner bath.
the back part is supported by the leg type arrangement, however the front (tap end) is not (was not installed by me)
The bath has always struggled to keep a silicon seal due to very slight movement (wonder why?)

Nearly finished a refurb and intend to have a tiled bath panel fixed to a frame (2x2 wood) - how tight do I ram the frame in and would it be advisable to attempt to support the opposite side (which will be difficult due to limited access)

Sponsored Links
If the bath is unstable remove and refit, a bodge is unlikely to succeed.

No it is stable but once filled and upon a person getting in it moves between 0.5mm and 1mm just enough to split the silicon

...and no it aint coming out!!!!!!!!!!

Is there something missing with the leg arrangement? as you can buy them.

Do you fill the bath then silicon up? because thats the way to do it!

But this is pointless if the bath is moving.

I know someone who put a car jack under his bath to support it :confused:
This is not a recommended method :)

Sponsored Links
No it is stable but once filled and upon a person getting in it moves between 0.5mm and 1mm just enough to split the silicon

...and no it aint coming out!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, but it's either fixed and stable, or it's not fixed, so it can move. It can't be both. any detectable movement is too much movement.

I normally level and fix somethimg like a 2X2 to the walls for the lip of the bath to rest on before installing the tub, adjust the feet so everything is level, the lip rests on the batten and all the feet are taking their share of the load, then fix through the batten into the underside of the rail behind the bath.
if the floorboards flex under the feet, you will need some 4X2s or similar under the feet to spread the load.

a good clean up with a solvent like methylated spirits helps the sealant to stick. fill the bath before sealing any gaps first, then a second application for final finish.

...think the problem here is my inability to explain myself :oops:

try again

corner bath which is supported by the usual tube type legs at the rear. Also by timber on the wall on the longest side and also at the back.
The tap end of the bath has never had the "legs" fitted, but was partially supported by the old (MDF) bath panel.
During the refurb this panel was removed, and roughly a third of the bath is now not supported - hence a very slight (measured last night again and is actually less than 0.5mm). I will be building a 2 x 2 frame to rectify this and to attach the new tiled bath panel to.

since posting my o/p I have sort of worked it out. Its trial and error - build the frame fill the bath and watch for movement, if none result if there is then make the frame tighter - am I correct???

cheers for the help so far

Okay, that makes sense now - some of the legs are missing!

You could make your framing up with enough space for pairs of folding wedges to snug everything up when it's fitted. Put a nail or two through the wedges once you are happy.

Or how about reproducing an adjustable leg or two of your own from, say, a couple of long bolts or a piece of 10 or 12mm studding to make your framing adjustable?

Something like drill the bottom rail of your frame, and fit a bolt through it so the head rests on the floor. fit a 'penny washer' and nut either side of the rail. Set the bottom nut to take up the gap and tighten the top to lock it.

Remember to leave some form of maintenance access for the plumbing. Sodds law says if there's no access, something will spring a leak, but if there is access, you will never need it!

thanks - you have reinforced my own thoughts

Re - the missing leg No it is impossible to retrofit now but i intend to support the chipboard plank on the bottom of the bath

Re access - thats why i will tile with mosaic - i can fashion a removeable section big enough to allow access and seal with silicon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back