Bathe mixer, copper pipes and masonry/tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a wall mounted bath mixer. The copper pipes need to be chased into the walls to get around the bath lip....for the rest the pipes will run below the bath. Do I need to isolate the copper pipes from the wall where they are chased? Can I put tile adhesive over the mixer? Does the tile adhesive need to be separated from the mixer housing?

Is there a difference between 22mm or 3/4 inch fittings?

The inlets into the mixer seem to be 22mm or 3/4 inch male? (with thread on outside - I presume ready to take tap connectors). If I look into these connections there is a hexagonal "bore". Is this for a large allen key to take out this male-male connection leaving a female connection? (thread on inside). Should I remove the male-male connection and put some ptfe tape in to ensure a good seal, or do these connections come from the factory in a watertight state? The outlet is female. How do I connect a 22mm copper pipe to the outlet? Does it need a male-male connector which would allow for a compression fitting?

Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Try to keep building materials away from the mixer valve and the copper pipes, you'll obviously need to fill in the chases and in this case i'd recommend corrosion-proofing the pipes by wrapping them (electrical insulation tape with a 50% overlap should do the trick).

Is it a concealed or a wall-mounted mixer (that is, are the pipes surface run or concealed all the way down the wall)?

3/4 inch refers to threaded connections, 22mm is the size of the pipe and compression fittings. You'll need a 3/4" female to 22mm compression fitting to convert, tap connectors almost certainly won't seal on the back of the male thread you have at the moment. And no, don't try to take those out, you'll almost certainly invalidate the warranty and they should be well sealed at the factory.
Hope this helps, any more questions just fire away...

Muggles, you beauty!
Thanks for the help. I will definitely be taking that on board. (I would have gone wrong).

Another thing.....I opened the floor and notice that the 22mm hot water supply is not copper. It looks old school. Grey in colour. What is this material likely to be? Is it lead? Should I replace it? It would be hard to replace some of it as it goes under the wall into the next room where the floors wont be coming out.

Also, the cold water run is 15mm which went to the bath, then carried on to the toilet cistern and the basin. Is this ok? Do I just need to use a 15mm-22mm connection just before the mixer?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The joys of lead by the sounds of it. You can buy a leadloc, which is a compression fit connector which will enable you to convert from lead to copper. The only difficult bit will be determining which size (they are categorised with reference to the weight of lead and not something useful such as the diameter). If you measure the diameter, however, and go along to a plumbers merchants, they should be able to advise. Costs about a tenner. There are other universal joints, but these are much dearer.

As for the 15 to 22 for the cold water, you can convert this where you see fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back