Bathroom basin taking more than 1 day to drain

nbr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

See pic attached of the basin in the house I just purchased.

The previous owner confirmed he only had slow drain but no blockage like this and was advised by his plumber to just use some Mr Muscle fron time to time.

I applied a bottle of Mr Muscle and still the basin takes more than 1 day to drain.

Any suggestion on how to go about investigating what the problem is?

Attachments

• IMG-20230107-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20230107-WA0009.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Take the trap off and see if it's clear ,not partially blocked.
If that's ok refit it ,run some water into basin,and use a plunger on the basin plug hole and cover the overflow whilst plunging.

As above, likely blocked, especially if there were any kids in property/visiting - had it loads and usually full of cotton ear buds.

Take the trap off and see if it's clear ,not partially blocked.
If that's ok refit it ,run some water into basin,and use a plunger on the basin plug hole and cover the overflow whilst plunging.
Removed the trap - some limescale but a shape that is designed to kind of accumulate water (see pic). After removing the trap i can see through the basin plug hole, so the order from the top is basin plug hole, trap as per pic and then short straight pipe into the floor...

I'll try and pour water in the bottom pipe to see if it does not drain. If water on this way does drain, should I change the trap to be a straight one of the same length? Not sure I follow the design of a trap in S shape...

Attachments

• 20230115_135831.jpg
    20230115_135831.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah and I'll also try and refit the existing trap and use the plunger.

Does water flow through the trap freely? Most blockages occur in the trap, because things that cause blockages cant pass around those bends.

Replaced trap with brand new trap and issue still occurs - I'll try the plunger suggestion next.

Hi,

See pic attached of the basin in the house I just purchased.

The previous owner confirmed he only had slow drain but no blockage like this and was advised by his plumber to just use some Mr Muscle fron time to time.

I applied a bottle of Mr Muscle and still the basin takes more than 1 day to drain.

Any suggestion on how to go about investigating what the problem is?
I wouldn't put a huge amount of faith in the previous owner's explanation.
You know now it's not the trap, by all means try the plunger, after that you need to trace the waste pipe to outside/soil stack. Good odds there's either a flat or uphill section or a hard bend full of rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back