Bathroom bonding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading up on some of the wiring regs, I'm concerned about some aspects of my bathroom wiring (done by contractors in 2001 for the previous owner).

There is no supplementary bonding. The only electrics in the room are SELV downlighters (non-IPXX rated) in the ceiling (2.2 metres above the floor), with the transformers (above the ceiling) controlled by a ceiling mounted pull cord 230V switch (in zone 2). There is no earth to the switch or transformers.

What would be the best remedy? Obviously the downlighters should be replaced (the bulbs currently don't last long...), From what I can see, I could run a 4mm cable between the light switch and the pipe work. Or else, I could replace the switch with a double insulated version (if such a thing exists). Alternatively, placing an RCB on the lighting circuit next to the CU (which uses cartridge fuses) would be another approach. The last approach is definately covered by Part P - I'm not certain if it's permissible to do some of the other things myself.

Or I could just do nothing...

Any opinions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The set up you describe does not seem to break regulations as it stands.

Once you start to work on it then you would need to comply with 2008 regs instead of 2001 regs and that is likely to be a lot of work.

Wait a bit and see what others say but the way I read it I would not touch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back