Bathroom ceiling pull switch confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I replaced the bathroom ceiling light pull switch yesterday but I was totally confused with the wiring.

The old one I took off had 'Comm' and '1 Way' connectors.

The new one I bought was an MK one (16 volt, wrong one apparently). But the connections were labelled 'Load (L and N)' and 'Source (L and N)'.

I tried all ways to get it working and in the end I had to ring the shop I bought it from.

I was told that the Live had to be wired to the 'L' on the 'Load' and directly opposite I had to wire up the Netural. Which would mean that Netural would be wired to 'Source' L.

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
16 volt?? More likely 16 amp which are usually double pole.
It will work if you connect the supply L to Source and switch L to Load. Leave the neutrals alone for now, you may not even have neutrals at the switch.
Why did you buy a 16A one? Are you wanting a neon indicator or something - 6A bog standard pull cords are readily available almost everywhere, 16A ones are harder to get hold of and more expensive?

Thanks for the reply. I bough it because the guy at the shop said it was the right one :(

I forgot to mention that only a single mains cable goes to it (grey cable with earth and live wires inside).

Sponsored Links
I said above how it needs to be connected, supply live to L Source and switch live to L Load.
As you only have a single twin and earth cable you will not have a neutral at the switch, if it isn't twin and earth then post back as the following colours will be wrong.

Red or Brown is usually permanent supply live.
Black or blue is usually switch live and should be sleeved with the appropriate red or brown sleeve to indicate this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back