Bathroom door latch(?) replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help, the latch (is that what it is called?) on our bathroom door is not working properley - basically it does not go in completely when you pull the handle down and so it is getting difficult to open the door. I thought it would be straight-forwad to replace but I cannot find the right part, the face plate bit seem to be much longer than standard ones (see image). Where would one find a part like this?

Thanks,

D

View media item 69429

Sponsored Links
Those handles seem to be 'sagging' a bit. I had a similar problem after my kids had been fighting either side of the door and had twisted the shaft. This meant that it wasn't turning the latch enough to withdraw it. Pop the handles off and check the spindle and each of the lever arms to make sure they haven't been bent out of shape.

Slight delay in responding to this - sorry. The latch is knackered and looks like it cannot be replaced. I may have to look at replacing the whole thing which is a pain. My question now is I presume I would have to drill new holes through the door for the spindle to go through as I presume for any new part that I install the holes will not line up?

Thanks,

D

Sponsored Links
Yes, unfortunatley they do not see to do the type that we have on the dorr anymore. It is the one where you twich the little thing and it locks the door by stopping the handles from going down. It is quite old I think. Wondering if I have to drill holes through the door if I buy a new latch and how much of a problem will it be if the holes I have to drill overlep the existing holes (because the spindle needs to go in a slightly different place).

Thanks,

D

Yes, unfortunatley they do not see to do the type that we have on the dorr anymore. It is the one where you twich the little thing and it locks the door by stopping the handles from going down.

Hmm.. the lever on backplate internal door handles on their site (e.g. Angelica) are "available as Lock, Latch and Bathroom functions". I've not gone through their latches but it wouldn't do any harm to contact them (perhaps e-mail your photo) in case they can supply a straight swap for what you have, or spares for whatever is broken.

Hi,

Sorry for the big delay in replying to this, have decided to get back onto it. I contacted Ian Firth and they do not do those parts anymore so looks like I will have to buy new. I suppose my question is how easy would it be to fit new parts with the existing holes etc. in the door? I know I could put new holes through but what happens if the new holes overlap the existing ones? Hope thus makes sense? :oops:

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back