Bathroom downlight dropped down and now the springs won't hold it

D C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a real pain! The guy that decorated the bathroom did not appear to have encountered a downlighter before so caulked the damn things in so heavily that when I came to replace a bulb the whole unit came down instead of just the bulb holder and buggered up the plasterboard in the process - he'd somehow sealed the bulb holder into the casing! I got one of the two back in ok but the second just wont stay up in place and leaves a ~4mm gap on one edge. Not what you want in a room with a shower!

I *think* the problem is that the springs that should be holding the casing in place up aren't strong enough (or have got bent) and the secondary clips aren't biting on anything because the hole is now too big but I don't really want to yank it out and test that theory and damage the edges any more.

Would fitting a converter work in this case? I'm thinking that just giving the unit it a metal edge to clip into might work. I'd like to avoid having to pull the whole thing out and replace it...and inevitably find the wires are too short or something..

Edit: by "converter" I mean something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/gloss-white-downlight-converter-140mm/6966k though I guess it would need a gasket/

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A downlight converter will deal with this, other options are to replace with new downlight that requires a larger cut-out or repair the damage to ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back