Bathroom drop down switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My very old sitch gave up last sunday-worn out, it would not switch off. B&Q was open so I took the switch there for a replacement. They sold me the one which looked similar (Im no electrician) and promised to replace if it didn't work. My old switch is marked 5 amp. the new one 16 amp with 4 terminals, 2 for power in and 2 for load out. and after careful connection did not work. By the way the switch is connected with the bathroom extractor fan and this also does not work now. To day I visited the electrical shop to seek advice and a proper switch. They sold me a 6 amp with three connectors, L1, L2 and Comp. I connected live to L1, neutral to L2. Comp left empty and earth connected to terminal on backing plate. No joy. My electrician may be able to visit Friday meanwhile no light in Bathroom. Is there anything obviosly wrong in my approach or am I to await the expert on Friday (maybe) :(

Sponsored Links
johnroberts said:
I connected live to L1, neutral to L2. :(

There is the problem. If you connect live to the the one terminal and neutral to the two way terminal, where is your switch wire? BTW why do you have a neutral at the switch. Be careful, because if you join live and neutral you will create a dead short and blow the fuse or mcb.

If you put the red one in "common" and the black one (switched live) in L1 it should work

Thanks to pdelec and pensdown for replies. Connected per pensdown suggestions and everything now works!! Happy or what.
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
johnroberts said:
I connected live to L1, neutral to L2. :(

There is the problem. If you connect live to the the one terminal and neutral to the two way terminal, where is your switch wire? BTW why do you have a neutral at the switch. Be careful, because if you join live and neutral you will create a dead short and blow the fuse or mcb.

Thanks what is BTW?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back