Bathroom fan - which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am having my bathroom done and I wondered which extractor fan would be best. My plumber just said to get a 4" standard fan to replace the old one.

The only thing is that the existing one is not wired to the light, it is wired alone with a pull cord. I have looked around and there aren't many that look decent with a pull cord.

Ideally I would like a fan that looks half decent, with a pull cord and with some level of power (as the bathroom does get quite a bit of condensation).

Any help or ideas would be really appreciated :confused:

Rich

Sponsored Links
Hi Rich,

I can't help you but I have the same problem. Our fan blows in on windy days instead of out and doesnt solve the condensation. We have to open the window and door after each shower and our ceiling gets covered in mildew. I hope you get a good answer from someone.

All the best.

you can wire almost any fan to come on with the light. you can also install a separate pull cord if you like (just like your light swicth)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

The pull switch option sounds good, but any recommendations for which fan to get?

Cheers :)

Google Vent Axia VA100X.

Vent Axia VA100X (4") Axial Extractor Fan

VA100X (Shutter) - Bathroom fan with thermo-electric shutter, pullcord and neon light. BEAB Approved.

If you are getting a lot of condensation then go for a centrifugal fan not the normal axial fan, the centrifugal fans have generally a higher output flow rate. Xpelair and vent axia both do 4 in centrifugal fans and I believe they are also fitted with backdraught shutters as standard.

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the responses.

I have found a Vent Axia VA100XH with autohumidity (humidistat) control with thermo electric shutter and pull cord override.

This sound good?

Rich :)

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the responses.

I have found a Vent Axia VA100XH with autohumidity (humidistat) control with thermo electric shutter and pull cord override.

This sound good?

I have known some with humidistats running on continually as the stat isnt part of the on off side of the pull switch if that makes sence ? manrose specifically

Funnily enough, I have just seen this, shame because I found one really cheap.

Back to the drawing board!!

I have known some with humidistats running on continually as the stat isnt part of the on off side of the pull switch if that makes sence ? manrose specifically

Humidity stats on the VA100XH models are adjustable. You just have to set them correctly.

Hi,

The VA100 models look great but the VA100x and VA100XH have to be turned on with the light switch, which I can't do.

I need one that turns on with the pull cord.

Please tell me if I am wrong with the Vent Axia models.

Cheers

You can do one of three things.....

Feed it via a pull switch and disable the internal pull switch (leave in the ON position) so it's controlled externally via your pull switch.

Feed it with a permanent live so it's controlled by the built in pull switch.

Feed it via a switched live from bathroom fitting so it's controlled with the bathroom light fitting.

Also, with regards to centrifugal fans over axial fans, they're not always more powerful in that they extract more air. A centrifugal fan is much better when using over 3 meters of ducting, especially if it contains bends.

A Vent Axia VA100XH extracts 15l/s, same as a Vent Axia Solo centrifugal fan.

Hey GaryMo,

Please forgive me for sounding really dumb here, I am not technically minded.

The VA100XH, which seems ideal for what I want it to do, you say if it has a permanent live (which it would have), is the pull cord internal or external.

I ask because if it is internal then it will be on all the time?

Please forgive my complete ignorance :LOL:

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back