Bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have major condensation problem in bathroom and was thinking of installing a low voltage extractor. This is in addition to a mains one which I reckon is in the wrong place. My plan was to take a "spur" from the mains one into the low voltage one so when switched on from outside the ensuite, both came on together. Would this way be ok, or should I disconnect the existing fan, stick a junction box on the end of that wire, then a feed to each fan from the junction box. Or perhaps neither is a good idea...Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why not connect the fan transformer to the switch? Your first idea might not be a good one, because the terminals of the existing fan might not be designed to take 2 conductors, and if you can avoid JBs you should.

However you do it it is notifiable, should you care.

tell us more about the existing fan being in the wrong place :confused:

When does it run?

is it clogged with dust? Undersized? Long duct?

The fan I have is currently mains voltage situated near the door. Its just a basic 15l/second. I read somewhere that if its near the door it just sucks air up under the door and out. I have cleaned the vent, pipe etc. Fan is operated by switch outside ensuite. I wanted to keep this one to save extra hassles in redocoration etc. Would I be better just trying a higher spec fan than wiring 2 together.

Sponsored Links
if you can, just fit a more powerful one to the existing duct (less trouble). centrifugal ones are more powerful and quieter.

If the fan is up high, and the door is a good fit, except for an air gap under the bottom, it will be OK when the door is shut.

the cool dry air can enter under the door, and steam, being lighter than air, will rise up towards the fan.

You did not say when the fan runs.

It is important to run the fan until the room is dry. Preferably have it come on automatically every time the light is switched on (some people have an aversion to ventilation and are reluctant to turn fans on) with a timer delay; or fit one with a humidistat that will keep running until it senses the air is dry.

Wet towels carry a lot of moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back