Bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, it's just a short question.
I have a fan in the the downstairs toilet that goes through the ceiling cavity and out the through the wall. The builders have used an open vent, is it feasible to replace this with a louvre vent to stop cold drafts coming through all the time, or is it designed like that to avoid a condensation build up if the air can't get through.

Thanks for your help in advance

Cheers

Michael

Sponsored Links
I see no reason (other than saving a few pence on the vent) why you can't put a louvre vent on that. It will stop the major drafts but wont be air tight. Or you could use a hooded vent like this
5011141118429_001c_v001_ap

BathJ

Thanks for the reply. I have also considered the vent you displayed. My main concern was with the way in which the fan worked. Aswell as taking air out of the toilet through the fan I wasn't sure whether it also needed the ability to allow air in for the purpose of ventillation, condensation etc. I just wanted to be sure.

I have also noticed that I said louvre vent when I actually meant a flap vent. Would the flowthrough from the fan be strong enough to raise the flaps on this vent to allow the air to be expelled

Thanks again

M

Sponsored Links
BathJ

Would the flowthrough from the fan be strong enough to raise the flaps on this vent to allow the air to be expelled

M

This depends entirely on the length of the duct run and the power of the fan.

Per the previous, it is important to allow an equivalent flow of air into the room (With the doorshut)

Otherwise you'll just be creating a lower pressure in the room and the fan wont extract efficiently.

So, if you have a 100mm dia fan you'll need the eqivalent of a 100mm dia hole in the door (slice half an inch off the bottom of the door, maybe?)

Taylor, BathJ thanks for the replys so far. The length of the run is aprox 1m from the ceiling to the wall outside. It uses the white extending ducting hose so do you think this would be ok for a "standard" strenghth extractor fan. I'm not exactly sure where i would put the back draft shutter, if I could fit it this would mean that I wouldn't need to replace the vent outside which would be good

Cheers

Michael

If the fan is in the ceiling the back draft thingy will just pop on top of the fan. Its made to fit right there.

Or put it inside the flexi hose.

You shouldnt have a prob with a 1 metre duct run.

Taylor

Thanks for the info and help. The easiest option is to revove the fan and fi the backdraft, however I don't like the white horrible vents they have used against the brick, so I presume (based on your last reply) the 1m span is Ok the fit the flap vents.

Cheers

Michael

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back