Bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone recommend a good powerful fan, preferably one with a sensor that’ll come on automatically ?

Sponsored Links
1) yes

2) no

Are you able to access the space above the ceiling, such as a loft? The best fan is usually an inline ducted one, which is too big to put on a wall.

How many steamy showers do you have in a day, and how is the bathroom heated?

Anyone recommend a good powerful fan, preferably one with a sensor that’ll come on automatically ?

not for smells but many offer humidstat options and some with PIR

Wall , ceiling or loft mounted?

Flat roof so wall mounted. It’s heated with a large towel rail but it has porcelain tiles (floor and walls) and ceiling cladding so nowhere for the moisture to go. Fitted the existing one but it’s crap. Auto wanted for moisture not smells (y)
IMG_5124.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you have a big enough gap under the door to allow air into the room?

Without enough air into the room the fan simply can't work and don't be tempted to open the window either

Yeah, tried it with door open, window open, still the same. Even blowing vape smoke at it and it doesn’t pull right, just seems to circulate rather than pull it out.

:?:

moisture just sitting on tiles/cladding.

The Vent-Axia Svara is a smart fan that can be controlled by :
intelligent light sensor with over-run timer. Can be continuous or intermittent with timer and humidity functions.and even has a SmartPhone app!

PS Doesn't make the coffee though.

Yeah, tried it with door open, window open, still the same. Even blowing vape smoke at it and it doesn’t pull right, just seems to circulate rather than pull it out.

Have you checked the vent outside is clear?

Yeah vents clear, rail is 2000 btu’s and rooms only 2.5 m/2. Got a louvre grill on the outside and it looks like the fan struggles to lift the flaps so wedged them open and still crap, hence the thinking stronger fan needed.

I needed a good solution for a bathroom with no windows, so I looked into this a lot a while back.

A few things to consider

1) As other's have pointed out, one thing you need is a good airflow into the room. but, it's not just a case of opening a door.

If you have a door open (or any opening) too near the fan, the fan will be just taking air from that door and there will be no air movement across the bathroom.

Ideally you should have a small vent inlet at the opposite end of the room from the extractor. So airflow is pulled across the room. Ideally the inlet should be low down.

It my case I drilled a few holes in the bottom panel of a bathroom door and put a grill on it.

Without any decent inlet into the room, the fan will just stall. It can't move any air.

2) The impeller style axial fans, which are the least aesthetically obtrusive have the least amount of "push". They can cope with very short ducting. Through a cavity wall is just about what they can cope with. But they don't really move a large volume of air with much force.

A much better solution is a centrifugal fan. These are designed to move large volumes of air through ducting and have a lot of "push".

The downside is that you have a bigger box on the wall in most cases, but they are much more effective.

In my case I needed one to extract air through about 2 to 3 metres of ducting.

After looking at a lot of options I picked a nuaire cyfan. There were lots of little reasons why I picked this one, but I have to say, it has been a very impressive extractor. It can be run with either a pull cord, humidistat, or with timer. Fan power is also adjustable.

I got a new one very cheap at the time, around £70, I can't find one cheaper than £150 now.

But, there are lots of cheaper centrifugal fan options, some with humidistats and over-runs, which are often important factors.

A vent-axia solo plus might be a good option. The design is not too obtrusive. There are various options for humidistat and timers.

I often find the timer/overrun versions better as the humidistats can end up being unreliable and the fan runs too much. This is when people over-ride them due to noise and turn them off at the isolator switch)

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Last edited:
I needed a good solution for a bathroom with no windows, so I looked into this a lot a while back.

A few things to consider

1) As other's have pointed out, one thing you need is a good airflow into the room. but, it's not just a case of opening a door.

If you have a door open (or any opening) too near the fan, the fan will be just taking air from that door and there will be no air movement across the bathroom.

Ideally you should have a small vent inlet at the opposite end of the room from the extractor. So airflow is pulled across the room. Ideally the inlet should be low down.

It my case I drilled a few holes in the bottom panel of a bathroom door and put a grill on it.

Without any decent inlet into the room, the fan will just stall. It can't move any air.

2) The impeller style fans, which are the least aesthetically obtrusive have the least amount of "push". They can cope with very short ducting. Through a cavity wall is just about what they can cope with. But they don't really move a large volume of air with much force.

A much better solution is a centrifugal fan. These are designed to move large volumes of air through ducting and have a lot of "push".

The downside is that you have a bigger box on the wall in most cases, but they are much more effective.

In my case I needed one to extract air through about 2 to 3 metres of ducting.

After looking at a lot of options I picked a nuaire cyfan. There were lots of little reasons why I picked this one, but I have to say, it has been a very impressive extractor. It can be run with either a pull cord, humidistat, or with timer. Fan power is also adjustable.

I got a new one very cheap at the time, around £70, I can't find one cheaper than £150 now.

But, there are lots of cheaper centrifugal fan options, some with humidistats and over-runs, which are often important factors.

A vent-axia solo plus might be a good option. The design is not too obtrusive. There are various options for humidistat and timers.

I often find the timer/overrun versions better as the humidistats can end up being unreliable and the fan runs too much. This is when people over-ride them due to noise and turn them off at the isolator switch)

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
I’ll check it out. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back