Bathroom installation - copper vs plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am having a bathroom installed in the next few months and need a little advice regarding the underfloor piping. I have had 2 competitive quotes and both have good references.

1 installer uses copper only and the other uses plastic piping, which is best and most reliable? My old property had a new suite and plastic was used and I never had any issues but I know some regard plastic as the lesser option? The installer using plastic uses speedfit connectors which he says is just as reliable as copper?.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Copper and solder fittings under floor.

Plastics got it's uses if used in straight runs, no joins under floor.
MI's don't recommend pushfit joints that aren't accessible.

plastic pipe with compression fittings under floor i don't even favour that but prefer compression over pushfit.

Hi all,

I am having a bathroom installed in the next few months and need a little advice regarding the underfloor piping. I have had 2 competitive quotes and both have good references.

1 installer uses copper only and the other uses plastic piping, which is best and most reliable? My old property had a new suite and plastic was used and I never had any issues but I know some regard plastic as the lesser option? The installer using plastic uses speedfit connectors which he says is just as reliable as copper?.

Any advice appreciated.

If it is inaccessible and will be for years and year and you don't want it
to leak; Copper.

Plastic is good to get through awkward places and if the fittings
are easily accessible there is nothing wrong with it.

Strangely I was fixing leaks in a house damaged by ice December 2010.
A number of the plastic poly plumb and hep had given way.
The push fits where still there hanging on for dear life.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'll give that a :?: too.

I was trying to make the point that push fits where/are seen as somehow
the inferior plastic fittings compared to the old style hep fittings.
Yet it was the speed fits that held up best under extreme pressure.

Thanks for the responses guys.

So, if a bathroom is to be tiled and pipework is to be inaccessible then copper is the preferred option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back