bathroom isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, when fitting a bathroom extractor fan, shaver socket and a heated mirror. Is possible to wire all three items to a single isolator switch? or do they each need a seperate isolator?

I want to know what I am up against before I make an application to remove a wall for costs.

Regards marty1916

Sponsored Links
the fan needs a 3 pole switch due to the wiring of it.

the mirror could simply be switched with the lights and fan - it needs an isolation switch above it at the ceiling though (turned off in summer to save £££).

the shaver socket - no isolation nessecary AFAIK - wire it to the lighting circuit.

if you are fitting a bathroom isolator, one neat way to do it is above the bathroom door, outside the bathroom. that way it is local and easily visible for maintenance, but is too high to be fiddled with accidentally.

If your supply come off the socket circuit, you can use an FCU fused down to 3A or 5A, and you can also get FCUs with a built-in RCD, this is a good way of providing RCD protection to all bathroom circuits as is now required.

If the isolator is upstream of all the circuits in the bathroom, including the fan, you so not need a 3-pole switch for the fan inside the bathroom.

I don't know what the power demand of the heated mirror is so I don't know if you can run it from a lighting circuit.

BTW I have a high-mounted fan that sucks out bath and shower steam, and my bathroom mirror never gets misty. It always comes on with the bathroom light though, as some people have a psychological aversion to ventilation and like to turn fans off.

Don't forget to follow manufacturers instructions. Most fans require a 3A fuse to be fitted for overcurrent protection.

Sponsored Links
If the isolator is upstream of all the circuits in the bathroom, including the fan, you so not need a 3-pole switch for the fan inside the bathroom.
You're absolutely sure that his bathroom has a window?

the fan needs a 3 pole switch due to the wiring of it.
That might confuse the OP!

If the fan is operated from the lighting circuit with a run on timer, it will require a permanent live supply, switched live supply (usually from the light switch) and a neutral, so Steve is correct, a suitably located 3 pole isolator is required

If the fan is manually switched on/off as required and has no run on timer a two pole isolator will suffice as there will be no permanent live to isolate.

If the fan is operated from the lighting circuit with a run on timer, it will require a permanent live supply, switched live supply (usually from the light switch) and a neutral, so Steve is correct, a suitably located 3 pole isolator is required.
Why?

Hi guys, thanx for all your input. All seems a lot clearer now, time to call an electrician for a quote.
Not as much work as I first though, I have just moved house so its all change.
Thanx marty

If the bathroom lighting loop feeds a switched spur then the lighting & fan come off this, a 3 pole iso is not required, as switching off the FCU will isolate all.

However, if the fan has a feed direct from the loop and a switched live too, there are 3 poles needing disconnection, to make the fan safe.

If the bathroom lighting loop feeds a switched spur then the lighting & fan come off this, a 3 pole iso is not required, as switching off the FCU will isolate all.

However, if the fan has a feed direct from the loop and a switched live too, there are 3 poles needing disconnection, to make the fan safe.

In that case, would you require 3A overload protection for both the permanent and switched lives as per MI?

Looking at a set of MI's for Vent Axia VA100 fans they have the loop supply going through a FCU then out to lighting and fan. This way a single 3A fuse would isolate the lighting circuit and fan within the bathroom.
I can still see a benefit for a TP isolator for the fan though as you could end up working in the dark should you need to isolate the fan for maintenance.

MI for Vent Axia VA100 fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back