Bathroom light and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been reading the FAQs and how-to's all day in prep for installing an extractor fan. However I wanted to ask about an easier way of wiring it.

I appear to have a feed coming from the mains which is directed down from the loft to a single gang switch. This I can see then feeds back up another cable and onto the lamp in the bathroom. Both are twin and earth cable. Its almost like a loop at the switch except the L/N/E doesnt continue on. N/E are each connected with choc block and feed L is used for the C and live to the lamp is L1.

Now originally I was going to use a junction box to take a new feed down to the switch and replace it with a 2 gang (both one way), wiring in an isolator and taking it then to the extractor fan. However can I bridge the live feed to a second switch and forgo having to run a new feed down? So have all N/E connected to each other respectively, take the live feed in to one C and then bridge to the second C and connect the two L1s to the lamp and extractor respectively?

Hope that all makes sense, TIA

Sponsored Links
This is a timer fan, yes?

You can take a three core from the switch position, through a triple pole isolator to a fan, yes.

The live would connect to common, the switch live to L1 of the second switch, then the neutral to the neutral block.

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the replies.

The fan is not timered (for now), it will just operate on the switch next to the bathroom light switch so we can choose when to have it on. So no need for a permenant live, but I guess the option is there given that we have all required cables at the switch, and I can easily do a drop of 3 core to it.

I will install an isolator between the switch and the fan. Is it acceptable to put this in the loft so long as its accessible? It will be within arms reach of the loft hatch and I can secure it to the woodwork making sure its above the boarding.

Sponsored Links
It should be located somewhere obvious as it's there to be used in an emergency. (Normally over the bathroom door is a good place)

Thanks for the response. I will fit the isolator on the wall directly above the switch which controls it. Easy enough to fit a new box to fit it to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back