Bathroom light & extractor fan help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi purchased a new led bathroom light and stupidly forgot to take a pic before taking down the old light! There are two main wires. Both have a blue, yellow, red and earth wire. I think the two reds were connected in a single block, both blues in another with a blue wire coming out. Both yellows with a brown coming out. The brown and blue then into light bulb. I have tried to copy this and nothing seems to work!?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like that would be right but it doesn't work, so...

Have you terminated all the wires correctly, not screwed down on the insulation?
Sometimes the copper will snap just inside the insulation, will feel floppy instead of rigid.

I will try. Looking at the extractor fan. It has red i to live, blue into neutral and yellow into T?

Sponsored Links
Ok. I have wired the old light bulb into the brown and blue wire but still trips the fuse? I am sure I have copied how I took it out. Could the red of had the brown cable coming out of it instead of the yellow? What does the T mean? Would be so much easier if could post pictures on here

The pull cord switch for the light only has a black and a red and earth! If only everything was that easy :(

Ah, you didn't say it tripped the fuse - so it won't work.

T means Timer.

With only a Red and Black at the switch means you must have a junction box somewhere.

Can't really offer any other ideas.

To the loft with a camera?

095C8894-5776-4145-A514-0D642AB5B190.jpeg

This is the light switch pull cord

Attachments

• 19CF1D16-4515-4224-A84D-C43D1A182465.jpeg
    19CF1D16-4515-4224-A84D-C43D1A182465.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 201
Yes, just as you described.

You need to find where the switch cable goes.

The fan connections don't look brilliant. Could the blue and red be touching?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back