bathroom pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have some difficulty with a pull cord i want to install. There are 3 wires coming out of the socket : a mains live (red) a neutral (black) and a 3rd that is naked with a small black sleeve. The red is always on irrespective of the light switch. I have a pull cord with just 2 terminals -one for the mains in and one more labeled 1-way. How do I connect the wires from the wall and the wires from the over-mirror light to the cord? What is this 3rd wire (earth?). Any help is much appreciated!
tks

Sponsored Links
The third wire is earth. Should have Green and yellow sleeving over it.

That black wire is NOT NEUTRAL. It should have a red sleeve or tape on it to identify it as SWITCHED LIVE.

The red, as you correctly say, is permenant live.

Its not rocket science. Live in to switch, switched live out to light. Your switch is a simple single contact, nothing fancy. I aint spelling it out how to wire it.

If there is no earth terminal present, connect the earth wire to a piece of terminal block, or wrap it all in earth sleeve secured with a bit of tape and curl it up in the backbox. A bodge, i know, but i doubt you will have an endless supply of terminal blocks.

While your there you might as well drop an earth wire done to the cold water pipe.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the pull switch is in the bathroom or location that contains bath or shower and that the supplementary bonding is not up to scratch seeing as the earth wire was not correctly identified.

RMS said:
While your there you might as well drop an earth wire done to the cold water pipe.
If the bathroom contains no supplimentary bonding, 'dropping' an earth wire to the cold water pipe could introduce a potential difference between the hot and cold water taps. Supplimentary bonding should be carried out between ALL simultaneously accessible metal (class 1) equipment Including:
Metal soil pipe(s)
Metal waste pipes (bath and basin)
Central heating pipes
Shower circuit
Electric heater circuit
Lighting circuit
Hot and cold water pipes

ok, i get the hint, i'll rephrase the comment.

While your there you might as well upgrade the supplementary bonding in the bathroom.

left myself wide open there. :oops:

guys I'm getting a little perplexed. This is supposed to power a lamp over the sink. In this case, shouldn't there be a neutral to close the circuit? I mean, what do i connect to the N of the lamp?

Whoah!!!! hold on, you wanted to know how to wire the switch, yeah?

Is the switch part of the light? Explain the scenario please, and what wires you have at the lamp!

here goes:

there are 3 wires out of the wall :R-live (not switched to other room lights), B and Naked with partial black sleeve.
the light itself just has a L & N terminal.
I suspect the current wall config -inherited from previous owner- worked for a lamp with embedded switch?

hope it makes sense!

At the light, red and black are live and neutral. If the fitting is plastic or double insulated, you wont need to use the earth, just terminate the earth in a bit of terminal block. Do not cut the earth off, it might be needed in future.

This wire with black sleeving is bugging me. Is it a two-way switch, with the cpc of T & E forming a strapper?

well, if i fit the lamp directly to the red and black it will be permanently on. That;s why I need to add a switch. But I'm not sure what will go in the switch and what will come out -what;s the naked/black sleeve?

do you have a place for the switch, and a place for the light, completely seperate? (eg. switch by the door, light above sink)

or are you trying to wire them in the same place, to the same set of wires?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back