bathroom pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help
I'm try in to connect lighting to the pull, cord I've wired the 2 core plus earth , brown to com blue to L1 and connected the earth, the light comes on but when i pull the cord for off position the fuse blows.

cheers all

Sponsored Links
If it's just the switch you've worked on, then you may have connected the earth to the wrong terminal. There should be a terminal marked L2 - leave this empty. The earth wire should be connected to a separate connector that may not be connected to anything else.

Is it just the switch you're working on or have you modified the connections at the light fitting too?

THANKS FOR REPLY
I'm clearing shoddy work after someone came to fit bathroom. the earth is correctly fitted and all looks ok in the loft.

The earth is correctly fitted to where?
As tim_s_uk is saying, there are two likely scenarios for what you describe. The first one being something has been installed to the L2 in the switch which shouldn't be there, the 2nd scenario is where a fitting/jb etc has been replaced and a switched live has been mistaken for a neutral.

Sponsored Links
The earth is connected to the brass screw on the fitting brown is connected to com blue is connected to L1 nothing connected to L2

cheers

The connections at the switch sound fine, so the problem is most likely to be at the light fitting. Try comparing it to one of the diagrams on the Wiki:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

As Spark says, the switched live from the switch (blue) has probably been connected to the neutral at the light fitting / junction box. You will need to find the other end of the cable running from the light switch (hopefully in the light fitting) and check the connections.[/url]

OK, further investigation.
Found light fitting cables in the loft, light fitting into other (suggest ring main) through terminal block, pos to ps neg to neg and earth to earth. pull cord switch is also going into terminal block.

cheers guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back