Bathroom questions.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have read the "Wall and floor tiling basics" post but still have a few queries.
I am redoing my downstairs bathroom to include water based underfloor heating. The walls are solid blockwork and the floor is suspended timber with a 50mm screed which incorporates the 16mm plastic central heating water pipes.
Please could you suggest wall and floor primers, adhesives and grout? I understand that BAL are pretty good? Do I use something different around the bath and shower?
Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Also, what are the thoughts of an extractor fan in the bathroom? It is a smallish bathroom with an airbrick to the outside and an opening window. Would an extractor fan be overkill or useful to reduce condensation.

Another thing, there is an electrical wire coming out of the wall above the basin unit. It was connected to a light fitting in the cabinets. Would this be 240 Volts? The wire is embedded in the wall and I cant see where it comes from or whether there is a transformer or anything. Perhaps this is controlled by the main light switch to the bathroom found outside the bathroom? Or was it only controlled by the cabinet light switch. So many questions......

All help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I have read the "Wall and floor tiling basics" post but still have a few queries.
I am redoing my downstairs bathroom to include water based underfloor heating. The walls are solid blockwork and the floor is suspended timber with a 50mm screed which incorporates the 16mm plastic central heating water pipes.
Please could you suggest wall and floor primers, adhesives and grout? I understand that BAL are pretty good? Do I use something different around the bath and shower?
Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

bal are good for any job, i personally dont use bal :LOL: you need a flexi adhesive and grout if you are using ufh.

the walls depend on what tiles you are buying and your prep work.

Also, what are the thoughts of an extractor fan in the bathroom? It is a smallish bathroom with an airbrick to the outside and an opening window. Would an extractor fan be overkill or useful to reduce condensation.

extractor is amust for a room like this.

Another thing, there is an electrical wire coming out of the wall above the basin unit. It was connected to a light fitting in the cabinets. Would this be 240 Volts? The wire is embedded in the wall and I cant see where it comes from or whether there is a transformer or anything. Perhaps this is controlled by the main light switch to the bathroom found outside the bathroom? Or was it only controlled by the cabinet light switch. So many questions......

All help greatly appreciated.

go ask in the electrical section for this one.

Sponsored Links
the walls depend on what tiles you are buying and your prep work.
Standard ceramic tiles say 300x300. Prep work?

prep work:- meaning what you need to do to the walls to make them good.

i.e plastering, patching etc.

and if its just 30x30 tiles not too heavy you can use a ready mix adhesive, just dont buy cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back