Bathroom sink leakage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bathroom installed last year and I\\\'ve recently noticed that the the sink is leaking. The most worrying part is that it\\\'s not the plug but the actual fitting is leaking, so the water is not draining into the waste pipe! Now do I just whack some sealant on to it or do I need to get it refitted? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ideally it should be dismantled dried and reassebled with silicone, left 24hours before use.

Cheap to try a two pack epoxy putty around it first. This is something I have never had the luxury to use so have no idea how effective it is. The proper job may involve quite some expense depending on the instalation. Modern bathrooms are not designd for ease of maintenance, seems cad doesn't factor in the future.

It's probably leaking down past the thread on the waste. They leak because there's no reason why they shouldn't. I haven't yet seen a design which tries to stop it! There are special thick washers, but they never come with the waste. :rolleyes:

If you can get at the big nut which is holding the waste fitting to the sink, undo it. Get plenty of silicone on top of it (finger round the back) and do it up so the thread is sealed against the basin by the goo. Stands a good chance of working.

Before you start, after undoing the nut I'd warm it with a hairdryer to dry it and clean what you can.

There is a special pair of pliers which helps to undo the nut, try a plumbers' shop...
Ww3C.GIF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back