Bathroom Swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I'm a level 3 plumbing apprentice, and have been asked to do a like for like on a bathroom (toilet, bath, basin in existing locations)

How much should I charge (not including the price of sanitary ware, taps and wastes)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
£600 - £800 dependent on location

just seen your location........some dog food for yer whippet

and some extra strong lager maybe? ;)

I'm a level 3 plumbing apprentice, and have been asked to do a like for like on a bathroom (toilet, bath, basin in existing locations)

How much should I charge

Nothing, then lick their hands for the experience. ;)

Sponsored Links
I was thinking one day around the £250 mark. Does that sound reasonable?

No. it doesn`t mate, like it or not you are an apprentice, who are you
to quote anything? it depends on the whole plumbing system wether or not you can fit a bathroom, hot/cold supply? combi/tank fed? cold water upstairs main down? conventional or combi? You can`t quote because you haven`t a clue mate. Price for the 250 mark, get the job, then get called back when they have no hot water, don`t recognise the cylinder, primatic? they are out there. If I were you I would pay them for the opportunity to completely destroy their system and walk away.

I was thinking one day around the £250 mark. Does that sound reasonable?

No. it doesn`t mate, like it or not you are an apprentice, who are you
to quote anything?

...you haven`t a clue mate...

....If I were you I would pay them for the opportunity to completely destroy their system and walk away.

That's a bit harsh, is it not? I've been plumbing for over 2 and a half years and passed my level 2. Surely this is enough to do a like for like swap. :!:

Fair enough, i won't have anywhere near as much experience as someone who's been doing it all there life (which is why I'm asking those with experience for advice) - But I'm sure I've got enough to do a simple task like this.

Oh and guess what... you only get experience by working!

ignore em david. everyone needs to start somewhere. as long as your customer knows the score whats the problem?!?! surely if you have a problem one of your more experienced work mates could help you out.

ignore em david. everyone needs to start somewhere. as long as your customer knows the score whats the problem?!?! surely if you have a problem one of your more experienced work mates could help you out.

Of course :) I can't see what his problem is! :rolleyes:

That's a bit harsh, is it not?

No, it`s reality, truth is harsh.

I've been plumbing for over 2 and a half years and passed my level 2. Surely this is enough to do a like for like swap.

As long as you are capable of understanding the system that is in place in that particular place.

Fair enough, i won't have anywhere near as much experience as someone who's been doing it all there life (which is why I'm asking those with experience for advice) - But I'm sure I've got enough to do a simple task like this.

You are installing a bathroom, you have a gravity fed hot water system, cylinder etc, customer wants a better performance from hot water, maybe a power shower? thermostatic shower? bath installation? do you kow the difference?

Oh and guess what... you only get experience by working!

Humility and respect are areas you may wish to pursue. ;)

You are installing a bathroom, you have a gravity fed hot water system, cylinder etc, customer wants a better performance from hot water, maybe a power shower? thermostatic shower? bath installation? do you kow the difference?

I may not have as much experience as you/others, but I'm not stupid!

Hi All.

How much should I charge (not including the price of sanitary ware, taps and wastes)

Thanks in advance.
Remember level 2 assessment - should take you a day and a bit maybe if it's like for like. 250-300 sound about right, but round here it's even going for 150-250 plus parts at present.

Ignore legion's tone and read between the lines - he's bambergaspipe from yesteryear and likes to throw in insults while he actually imparts quite a load of good advice.

I may not have as much experience as you/others, but I'm not stupid

No one is saying that you are stupid, you are an apprentice and should learn before walking, your idea of installing a bathroom suite just because in a classroom environment you have been shown is flawed, you are getting advice, take it. You will come up against bigger scenarios than in college, it`s not as simple as hot and cold water. listen and learn before quoting prices. ;)

I may not have as much experience as you/others, but I'm not stupid

No one is saying that you are stupid, you are an apprentice and should learn before walking, your idea of installing a bathroom suite just because in a classroom environment you have been shown is flawed, you are getting advice, take it. You will come up against bigger scenarios than in college, it`s not as simple as hot and cold water. listen and learn before quoting prices. ;)

Apprentices don't only learn at college... It's day release, meaning 1 day a week at college, then the rest of the week on the job "gaining experience". Which as I've said, have been doing for over 2 and a half years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back