bathroom taps dont work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies if this is obvious but I am a complete dullard when it comes tio plumbing.

my bathroom taps stop working every so often. I can tunr them full and get no more than a dribble. If I dismantle the tapand tighten the circlip with a pair of pliers and reassemble this can sometimes fix the problem.

It started with one tap but recently all the taps in my bathroom and en suite have started doing this (not mixer taps).

Is there something else I should be trying. Could it be the washer? Althoiugh I thought washer problems usually resulted in leaks/drips not stopping the tap altogether.

If you need more info let me know what you need to know and i will post it.

by the way the taps have been installed for abou 9-10 years with no other repairs

Sponsored Links
You can change the cartridges for about $10 but it might be worth getting some new taps for a bit more money.

Not worth bothering reseating or changing washers on old taps IMHO.

Have a look around, sometimes Argos do taps on special offer for less than £20. :D

so basically they are goosed then?

My problem is that when the missus finds out she will want to spend hundreds on fancy replacements!!!

It started with one tap but recently all the taps in my bathroom and en suite have started doing this

It could be a supply problem if they are all playing up.

Maybe your cistern (if you have one) is not refilling.

Worth a check before replacing all the taps. :D

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure as the first one starting playing up months ago and none of the others were affected. Annoyiongly it then became the hot tap in bathroom and cold taop in en suite that stopped working so back and forward between two.

would changing the washers help this problem in the meantime?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back